Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Today is my 1st Post

GWB
GWB Member Posts: 14
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Diagnosed with Dementia 12/20/24 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited January 30

Welcome to this online support group G. I'm sorry you have received this diagnosis. Was this diagnosis given by a neurologist after a thorough medical evaluation with blood and other tests to rule out dementia mimics?

Were you offered any medication or other recommendations?

Interestingly, the brain itself has no pain receptors. If you have pain in your temples, it is coming from muscles or other structures in the head.

What you will have to learn to do now is to make accommodations to help yourself. The first accommodation is to stop multitasking. Focus on doing ONE TASK at a time. Plan your day and don't add too much. Do you make lists? I make a daily list and check things off.

Are you making plans for your future? Please post any more questions that you have.

Iris

•    GWB
    edited January 30

Thank You

After looking into your helpful information I located this in The National Registry of Medicine.

"Dementia is a neurological disease that includes a cluster of symptoms involving memory, thought process, language, and problem-solving and task-performing capacities. It is debilitating enough to interfere with daily life activities. Dementia occurs due to a number of causes. There are various types of dementia. Alzheimer's disease (AD) and vascular dementia (VD) are the two leading causes of dementia [2]. On the other hand, primary headache disorders are several diseases with different characteristics. The most common ones are migraines with or without aura, tension-type headache (TTH), and cluster headache. Worldwide, roughly 45% of adults in the general population are victims of headache disorders [3]. The link between symptoms such as headache and the clinical presentation of dementia is seldom a coincidence [4]. The registry of the years back and population-based cohort studies have successfully shown the potential association that migraine and dementia might have..."

• Iris L.

G, keep in mind that correlation is not causation.

Iris

•    GWB
    edited January 31

Are you giving your opinion as a non-professional? Where did you get your degree in neurology?

• Iris L.

G, you sound like you want to argue and make snide remarks. I am here to help people who are dealing with dementia and cognitive impairment. Perhaps the other members will be of more help to you.

•    GWB
    edited January 31

Iris, I kindly suggest you step back and reread your comments. I asked you for valid questions given your medical knowledge. Iris, you do not know me or my disease. I purposely did not feel comfortable discussing them at this point. They are quite complicated.

Thank-You

I ask moderators to close this post

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living