Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How Much to Tell

I am an 82 yo caregiver for my 84 yo DH who was diagnosed with dementia by a neurologist in 2023 and I estimate is now in stage 5. He was just diagnosed yesterday with pulmonary fibrosis, but seems already to have forgotten most if not all of the doctor's visit. The mean survival time for this is 2-3 years, and DH also has emphysema and carotid artery blockage. When the doctor told him the life expectancy he did not show any reaction. I would be very interested in hearing how others handled discussions of terminal conditions with their loved ones or if they decided to spare them the painful knowledge of their condition, particularly if they would not remember it the next day. Many thanks for any experience you are willing to share.

Tagged:

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When my dh was at that stage, where I thought he might understand and want to know, I used the philosophy of telling him one time. If he didn't remember, I didn't feel the need to remind him of what he'd already been told (bad new or diagnoses). Only if something is happy or joyful will I tell him again and again.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 787
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I care for my 98 year old Father in law who is in Stage 5. I would not tell him news such as this.

He would probably understand in the moment but would not remember the news the next day. His advance directive is clear in that he does not want intervention in cases of life threatening illness.

He “knows” he is “forgetful” but we don’t talk about dementia and I would not try to explain pulmonary fibrosis to him. I just try to keep him safe, as happy as possible and give him my love. I’m the only family he has left.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 311
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

It’s not how much to tell, as he was told by the doctor. It’s whether to repeat the diagnosis to him. My vote is no. He’s not going to remember and it’s only going to upset you to keep repeating it.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Lee39

He's been told. I wouldn't remind him. A best, he won't appreciate the gravity of what you're saying and at worst he won't remember.

HB, whose dad looked at his neurologist after being told he had Alzheimer's and said, "that's the best thing I've heard all day".

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 566
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

My mother used to tell everyone she had ‘dyslexia’ to explain her lapses. (one of which was that she forgot the word dementia.). Many people voiced that that was too bad while I was standing behind her shaking my head and mouthing ‘no’.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I don't see where there would be an upside to telling him. But it could sure bring him down.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,300
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lee, so sorry. Don 't tell him a thing. The doctor has so that's enough. Hopefully, he won't remember that. It won't do any good. If he asks, just tell him his memory is.not too good. Let him enjoy his life. My husband had vascular dementia and we never talked about it one time. No use, we just enjoyed our time together. I hope you decide not to mention it and also your time with him. It's not an easy thing to deal with.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I've never told my wife and in our situation I think it was the best decision. Always guessing.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Lee, I have never told my husband he has dementia. When he didn't recognize our granddaughter at a ballgame I just said as we age some areas of our brain don't work like they used to, just like the rest of our body. There has been on the news a test to see if you have the alzheimer gene. He says why would anyone want to know. There is nothing that can be done about it. Just my two cents. Pat

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more