Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A really good guy during a really bad day

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I talked about this guy once before on here. Very early yesterday morning we lost another child. My daughter, who was staying with me temporarily, since she was not able to walk the stairs up to her apartment, passed away. Right at midnight I heard her calling for help. It seemed she was coming out of the bathroom, and might have passed out. She asked me to get her oxygen because she couldn't breathe. I got it for her, and asked her if she fell. She didn't know. She wanted an ambulance, so I called one. They finally got her up, then outside to get her on a gurney to put her in the ambulance. About 5 minutes later, one of the guys came back in to tell me she had a heart attack, and they were treating her, then going to the hospital. Two of her sisters came over, and we went to the hospital. But the doctor told us she was gone before she got to the hospital. They could not revive her. She was better off because she was on kidney dialysis three or four times a week, and always had a bad headache from that, plus she had been having a hard time breathing for months. She was miserable.

So we met with the funeral director who handled my son's passing, as well as my wife's, and now my daughter. She had absolutely nothing. She was disabled, on SSDI, and had maybe $600.00 in the bank. No life insurance.

So the funeral director tried to keep the conversation as light as possible. He kept stressing that if any of us had questions about anything, to call him. We were there for well over an hour, and at one point he told us if we had any questions, even if it was 3 or 4 in the morning, call them. He said he wouldn't be bothered at all by that. After all, his daughter answered the phone. 😀 This guy operates totally different from the companies who have to satisfy shareholders. He saved us money anywhere he could, and really kept costs down. He said we could buy a large floral arrangement for the casket, or we could use one of theirs at no charge. He gave us all kinds of tips to keep costs down both with him and with the cemetery. He also told us of places that might have grants to help with costs. He is real close to my age, and when he's gone, we will have lost a great guy.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had a kind and caring person to help you and your family.

Peace and strength, my friend.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am terribly sorry for your loss, Ed.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a mixture of emotions you must be feeling right now.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed i am so sorry. In this day and age, the majority of us have gotten inured to the concept of losing a child. I am glad you had a good neighbor to lean on.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Ed, I am so sorry. You have had too much loss in a short amount of time. Thank goodness your daughter was staying with you so you could help her. It isn’t often that we find business people like that funeral director. I am so glad he was there for you. Prayers for you and your family.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

I’m so very sorry.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am very sorry Ed. I truly cannot imagine the losses you have endured.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Oh my gosh Ed, that is a lot to endure. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family (yikes! what's left).

One of the things that keeps me going through this journey that has had me lose my mother, then father, and now, soon, my wife, is the people who arrive out of nowhere and provide an unexpected amount of help and grace. I try to remember them when everything is hard to bear. They're angels. Thankfully, they are out there.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, I am so very sorry for your family’s loss. Even though you understood your daughter’s medical situation, it’s still so very hard to lose a child.

I’m thankful the funeral director was so helpful to you.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh Ed! You’ve had so much loss. I know she’s had a rough life and that you have supported her throughout. Blessings on you, friend. Peace and comfort. I’ll be praying for you and your family. SH

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Ed, my sincere condolences.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ed, I'm so sorry about your dear daughter. Please accept my condolences in your loss.

Iris

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

oh Ed, I am so sorry to hear this. Your sweet daughter is now at peace. What comfort it must be to have such a kind person run a funeral business. My heart aches for you and your family.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed i am so very sorry for the loss of your dear daughter.🙏🏻

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Ed1937

Please accept my condolences on the passing of your dear daughter.

HB

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh Ed, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dear daughter. And I’m grateful for a kind and Godly friend to help in your time of grief. Keeping you and yours in my prayers ❤️

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Ed,

I truly don't know how you do it. You have endured unimaginable pain. Yet, you are forever helping us with our journeys. I am so very sorry that you have lost your daughter and have experienced so much loss and pain. You are such a courageous man, always trying to help us and support your family.

I believe God sent that funeral director to support you, our angel who endures so much suffering but never loses his compassion for others.

God bless you Ed. May God send you peace and comfort.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so terribly sorry to hear of the loss of your DD. Thanks goodness someone kind was put in your path to make it just the tiniest bit less difficult.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry Ed. What hell you have been through.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, I cannot imagine all the pain you have endured. Please know we are thinking of you. I am so sorry.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Mayor Ed, I add my deep sympathy to everyone else's on the loss of your daughter. As others have said, you've had too much to bear in too short a time. I'm so sorry.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

May your daughter RIP. Deepest condolences xo

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, I'm so sorry for the loss of your DD. The pain of losing a child is indescribable. And loss upon loss. Our funeral director was seeing us for the third time in 4mos. The grace and kindness of people like the funeral director and others are still the most intense memories I have all these years later. Bless the ones who offer compassion and grace. ((hugs))

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, I’m so sorry for the pain and loss you’ve endured. There is a special place in heaven for you and for the ones that show us hope and kindness in our darkest times . May your DD rest in peace and may you find comfort and peace as well.💙

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am very sorry for your loss.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Dear Ed,

I am so sorry that you are enduring yet another loss. Here you are in this time of grief, writing about human kindness, and showing your appreciation for another good human being. You are an inspiration to us all.

Maureen

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, I am sorry to learn of your most recent loss. How much more can you bear? It takes a special kind of person to be able to rise above his grief to recognize the good in others. But I’m not surprised at your reporting of this activity; those of us long time posters would expect nothing less of you. May your daughter rest in peace and may you continue to find peace going forward. Prayers for you and your family.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. What a beautiful person the guy at the funeral home is. There really are good people in this world, we just heard about them very often. Prayers for you and your family. God bless you Mr Ed.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((Oh Ed))). You and this guy have lots in common. Truly special men with compassion and love for humanity. I am deeply sorry for you and your family's loss of your daughter. It sounds like she has been freed from some onerous things in this life, and who knows? Maybe she and her mother are reunited as we speak, with no dementia, no dialysis, and none of the cares of this world.

I believe there is so much we cannot explain or understand...we do see that right here on earth, for example with my DH's Alz journey I see things that defy explanation. So, I do believe anything is possible after we are done with this phase. Still, we miss them and any good times and memories created together. With deep condolences. Holding you in my heart.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more