Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Employment

Does anyone have any suggestions for employment for my husband who has early onset of dementia/mild cognitive impairment? He recently retired from teaching and still would like to do some type of work. Technology is not a strength of his. Does anyone have a loved one that is working with early onset? Any information would be helpful.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Realistically PWDs are incapable of useful employment because they are not reliable. He might find a volunteer position. He can help out at a senior center or adult care center. If you have the funds, think about a bucket list activity, such as travel. Read a lot of travel threads.

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@spunkykid578

I do know of a few folks with ES who continued to work for a time. Typically, these are folks in the early stages working either at a low stake rote position they've done for years or they work in a situation where there is considerable oversight as a protection. The latter often happens when it is a small family business as they ease the PWD toward retirement.

The problem is that the short term memory issues and executive function deficits that come with dementia will mean learning new tasks will not be reliable. And the progressive nature means even if he did find something he could do now, all bets are off in 6 months.

As I recall, you've got kids at home facing college and that money is tight with this unexpected development. Did you set him up to receive long term disability and social security disability based on his condition? That would bring some money in.

HB

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited February 24

My mother was forced out of her teaching career due to early onset Alz. She did some volunteering for about a year after that, but the second half of that year was not good, in hindsight. She really needed more supervision and oversight than she had. It's not just technology, it tends to be following any processes, learning new tasks, attention to detail that is affected. Just remembering to clock into a job could be an issue. It wasn't fair to the organization she was volunteering with to be dealing with her deficits and they had to tactfully find a way to get her to quit. If you want to find him work due to finances I would look into social security disability income. If you have minor kids still at home they may also get payments if their father qualifies. If it's because you want to keep him busy and active then perhaps find someone to volunteer with him (you, a friend etc.) or an adult day care/day program would be good. In some states Medicaid will pay for day programs.

• spunkykid578
    spunkykid578 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

We do not have long term care insurance and I guess its probablly too late now. He did apply for social security disability but that could take at least a year. :(

• spunkykid578

Thank you. I do not think currently he would qualify for medicaid. I am trying to encourage him to volunteer but he is very determined to find a job.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Spunkykid, he should qualify for social security disability right away because of his diagnosis. Did you inquire about any short- and long term disability benefits when he left his job? You may need an attorney to help with these things, and you should go ahead and set up power of attorney for healthcare and finances while he is still able to consent . Your own will should also be changed, as he cannot serve as your power of attorney or executor. Certified elder law attorneys can be found at nelf.org listed by location.

he will qualify for Medicare one year after he is approved for social security, and the attorney can also advise you about how to manage your finances so that he will qualify for Medicaid in the future . This may be necessary to finance long term care.

• Iris L.

M1 is right, ask about Compassionate Allowance to fast track his SSDI application.

He may be determined to find a job, but nobody will hire him. He has anosognosia and is probably not aware of the depth of his impairments and why nobody will hire him. Do not try to confront him with reality, but learn some work-arounds from the members.

Iris

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When my spouse retired early, he also wanted to find a job. I remained relentlessly positive and supportive, but did not help with the process. After applying for several stockroom jobs, he was stymied by the process and decided he didn't want to work after all.

• spunkykid578

Who should I ask about compassionate allowance?

He was a teacher and our district did not offer any long term disability. His short term disablity claim is still being reviewed.

• spunkykid578

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 173
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My partner really struggled with feeling worthless after a career in nursing. There isn't much you can do in retirement that compares with a helping profession. She volunteers (I'm amazed they still welcome her) and it's going to be horrible when it's time for her to retire from that, too.

Do you have friends who would hire him to help with projects they could do together? If you're in a rural area there are always things that need to be done - unloading hay, weed wacking, painting fences or barns. Its more about finding the person who will welcome him to try. Spring cleanups? Riding along with the guy who delivers and stacks firewood? Real estate people who stage houses and need lots of hands to move furniture in and out?

• Iris L.
    edited February 26

Spunkykid, you say your DH retired from teaching. Was he let go for poor performance or did he retire on his own? Was he in the process of medical evaluation for dementia? Usually, just a doctor's note is sufficient for short term disability. The process of long term disability and SSDI requires a great deal of documentation and takes some time. Are you working with an SSDI attorney? You should ask the attorney about Compassionate Allowance. If the attorney is unfamiliar, that is not a good sign. Also you can call the Helpline at 1-800-272-3900 and ask to speak with a Care Consultant. She can explain the process of Compassionate Allowance to you.

Note, if your DH is able to work at manual labor for income, that could deny his claim of being disabled.

Iris

• Sapphire68
    Sapphire68 Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Likes

I agree with some of the others. He isn't going to be aware of "why" he should no longer be working. I would help him get involved with volunteering for sure. Most schools have options for older people to help with tutoring, class assistants and such things. I'd see if that might interest him. He can still feel involved in the area that he used to work.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 311
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

If he had to retire from teaching, I would not suggest volunteering in a school. Tutoring requires competency in the subject area. Clerical tasks require the ability to follow directions. A helper that requires constant supervision is not a help.

• spunkykid578

He was not let go. His nerologist encouraged retirement as he was struggling with his job. He qualified for his pension through disability retirement. We do not have a lawyer for social securtiy. He just completed the paperwork and submitted. Thank you for the number. I will contact.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

it would be irresponsible to imbed a PWD in a school setting, because of the liability. This is true for many other settings. My husband, an internist, had to step down as soon as the EOAD diagnosis was made.

• OhDear
    OhDear Member Posts: 19
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband was an adjunct college professor and jazz drummer. He was devastated when he retired and discovered he wasn't able to teach drums. He used to practice every day but has stopped after a few jam sessions left him feeling that something wasn't right. He blames it on physical back issues but I know it is more. I would love to get him excited about performing or 'teaching' of some kind. We can't count on his ability consistently - He really wants to do something meaningful but haven't found anything yet - I'd love to help him tell his own history somehow but I struggle with my own energy after losing my job and providing 24/7 care. I feel your pain —

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

As soon as I got my dh retired from his job as an accountant he wanted to go back to work. I was vaguely supportive but did not help with any of the associated tasks as he applied for several warehouse and stocking jobs. He wasn't able to figure out how to navigate whatever responses he got and move the the interview stage so dropped the plan.

• Iris L.

PWDs and family members might consider getting involved with their local Alzheimer's Association chapter in advocacy and education activities or in a Memory Club for socialization.

Iris

• janeedee
    janeedee Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes First Comment
    > @spunkykid578 said:
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for employment for my husband who has early onset of dementia/mild cognitive impairment? He recently retired from teaching and still would like to do some type of work. Technology is not a strength of his. Does anyone have a loved one that is working with early onset? Any information would be helpful.

> @spunkykid578 said:
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for employment for my husband who has early onset of dementia/mild cognitive impairment? He recently retired from teaching and still would like to do some type of work. Technology is not a strength of his. Does anyone have a loved one that is working with early onset? Any information would be helpful.

> @spunkykid578 said:
  • janeedee
    janeedee Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes First Comment

check the Aramark Food Service website for any openings in your area. They are amazing. My LO works at a college sports arena stocking beverages and filling pop corn boxes. He can pick and choose hours, days per week and which sports to cover. He arrives early and watches the team warm up. I know he doesn’t care about the $ - he wants to feel useful. They are aware of his limitations - someone punches him in and out since he cannot remember the process. He doesn’t usually remember his schedule, but I sure do. Once I get him there - I have 4 hours to myself. It’s a win win

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more