Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just joined and new here

Hello...my name is Carolyn, and I have been contemplating joining this forum for a few months now, but have been too numb and grief-stricken to do so. But I thought I would give it a try.

My husband (2nd marriage for both of us...he has two grown daughters, and I have no children) was diagnosed with FTD yesterday. He was originally diagnosed with AZ, but that has been updated. AZ was bad enough, but FTD is terrifying. I wasn't able to find an on-line FTD forum, so I thought this would be a good place since caregivers, regardless of the type of dementia, experience many of the same struggles and emotions.

As is the case for most of we spouses, we saw the signs, had our suspicions, witnessed the decline, asked our spouse to be evaluated...long before an official diagnosis. I've been living with this for at least 5 years, but the first few years the symptoms were vague, and I could rationalize and excuse them away. I just didn't want it to be. Neither did he. So now, he is significantly worse, but still considered in the early stage. I know there is a lot of decline and anguish to come for both of us. I seem to be stuck in this grief limbo and can't get out from under it. I don't want to take anti-depressants, and counseling, while available, is booked out through mid-summer. My question here is: are there resources for the intense and overwhelming sadness and grief?

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Carolyn, Welcome but sorry you needed to seek out our community. I have been in counseling since the early stages of this journey and have also been active in local in person support groups, both which I highly recommend. When I first sought out a counselor, A number of them said they were booked up for the foreseeable future or were not taking new clients. I keep calling around and was able to find someone with an opening and fortunately it was a good fit. I suggest trying other counselors and see if you can get in. If you join a local support group maybe someone will have a referral to a counselor they have used. I have been able to get a couple of support member appointments with my counselor. Good luck.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    edited February 29

Hi @Carolyn4255 I'm so sorry about your husband's FTD diagnosis. For me it's my sister who was diagnosed with FTD in 2018.

@GG06 created an FTD group on this site, I think it's here. I'm never great with links, but if that link doesn't work, you can go to "groups" at the top of the page, and then get to FTD. That group has been very helpful, and I hope it's helpful for you too.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi, I am sorry you need this forum, but I think you will find the people here to be warm, welcoming, and incredibly knowledgeable. They have saved my life.

As GG mentioned, we have an FTD group (my husband, 65, has FTDbv). We also have a new caregivers group where we've been collecting resources and conversations that may be helpful.

All dementia is challenging but FTD definitely has some unique issues. Don't hesitate to ask questions, tell us your story, and reach out when you need us.

AFTD also has a helpline and a search for local resources (https://www.theaftd.org/living-with-ftd/aftd-support-groups/). I found a local caregiver support group through the site that has been great. It helps so much to talk with others who are having a similar experience.

Take care of yourself so you can be there for your family- and don't forget that you're important too.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

This site below is similar to the one above. A local support group (call Alz Assoc) may be a good resource. Many people are living with FTD but diagnosed incorrectly as having Alz.

Please double check that your husband has been properly diagnosed according to current protocol and then please get a neurologist on your team that is willing to outsource drug handling to a psychiatrist if need be. The drugs for FTD are not identical to those for AD.

Grief counseling...I think you will need to google search. Most groups are dealing with death as the loss. You are grieving a loss...just as difficult

and maybe more so at times.

We are always here for you. We will listen, share and lend a shoulder when needed. Do not hesitate to post whatever when ever.

Helpful Resources for Frontotemporal Degeneration (FTD) | AFTD (theaftd.org)

Judith

• HangingIn
    HangingIn Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

Hi Carolyn, and welcome.

I also had hoped to avoid anti-depressants, but for the three months following my DH’s ALZ diagnosis last summer, all I did was cry. I could barely talk without dissolving into tears. After I began taking anti-depressants, I was far better able to cope. Do I still cry? Yes, of course. But not uncontrollably. The meds are, for me, simply a tool that helps me think and function. I’d encourage you not to write them off entirely but of course you need to do what’s best for you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Carolyn, adding my welcome. Don't feel like a failure for looking into placement. FTD is especially challenging, and some folks respond better to professional caregivers than they do to family.

Antidepressants are also not a sign of failure. The brain changes in response to chronic stress, and there is an overlap between stress and depression. The newer antidepressants merely help overcome those changes in ways you can't just "will" yourself into.

You've come to a good place and I wish you well.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Welcome, Carolyn, to the little club no one wants to be a member of. Just to add my experience, I've done online counseling for some time, beginning just after DH was diagnosed MCI. It has been sort of a "safety valve" for me, as is this site. These are important things, and you need them. Also, I, too, had that "inner Midwesterner" who told me to "suck it up and deal", like @CindyBum . That inner voice kinda works for normal ups and downs of life, but living with a PWD, as we all know, is not remotely normal. I ended up telling my PCP about the caregiving issues I had and she prescribed a small dose of an antidepressant that has been helpful in letting me get a normal night's sleep most of the time. YMMV

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Carolyn,

I think I could have written your post a couple of years ago. I didn't want to take antidepressants either, but when I told my doctor how I couldn't control my crying and burst out crying while I was talking to him, he said that I needed them. It could be temporary until I can cope better. They have greatly helped. Maybe you could try on-line counseling. Just make sure you find someone who is familiar with the alz journey and grief. Carolyn, it is still true that "information is power" especially with this journey. I would suggest that you read the 36 Hour day, check out Tepa Snow and Tam Cummings on You Tube. Also, please see an Elder Care attorney now, don't wait as it will save you later. Carolyn, you will get stronger and you will surprise yourself when you do things you never thought you could. We will help you. Hang in there.

• Carolyn4255
    Carolyn4255 Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

I toured a few assisted living/memory care facilities yesterday, and came away with mixed feelings. On the one had I feel that patients can get compassionate care in most of these placed, but on the other hand I'm just not ready for my husband to make that move yet. I would love, love, love to be able to keep him home to the end, but I realize that might be unrealistic. The end-stage might be more than I can cope with. It's just so hard to plan when dementia is so unpredictable and different from one person to the next. Without a crystal ball I have no idea how he will progress with this. I guess time will tell.

I've done a lot of reading, but still have so many unanswered questions. One in particular is how family and caregivers deal with dispassionate doctors...especially when you live in a city where you don't have a lot of options. Maybe I should start a new discussion for this?

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Start a new discussion on this topic. I would be very interested to hear responses. It could get buried being on the end of this thread.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi @Carolyn4255

You said this earlier:

Compared to all of you, who seem so collected and pulled together, I feel weak and spineless. I'm ill-equipped and ill-prepared for this nightmare.

I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way when I joined this forum, exactly the same. It gets a little better once you've got more experience under your belt, and once you've read more. There are good resources out there, and of course there's everyone here.

I'll be honest .. I've been looking after my sister for the last six years and I still have many moments where I question myself. I still feel like sometimes the ground isn't quite solid under my feet. I've had many a time where I've felt like "okay, I have this", and then some new symptom shows up, and I realize that I only sort of "have this." I think it's just the nature of the beast.

And yeah, I agree with @trottingalong , starting a new discussion on assisted living/memory care is a great idea.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@Carolyn4255 as GothicGremlin said, be sure to click on the "Groups" section at the top of the page and join the FTD group. There definitely are some big differences, and this is a place where you'll find some topics specific to FTD

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Hi Carolyn,

I thought I’d chime in, too, to welcome you and let you know two things I’ve experienced since my DHs diagnosis. I’m about a year ahead of you in this journey and so much has changed in me this year. Firstly, I could not think or make decisions or begin to process my new reality without the help of a low dose anti-depressant (never thought I’d take one & the change was amazing…still me, better me, clearer mind, thoughts and decisions are fueled by logic not derailed by overwhelming emotions). Secondly, the change in my perspective in one year has been astronomical. It took about a year to really understand my new reality and my new role in life—I don’t have a partner anymore I have a patient, and I’ve decided to make the changes and sacrifices needed to care for him at home. I have decided to accept help from every source I can find (family, friends, community, government) and to live very modestly & minimally. I have given up false hopes and dreams and fantasies. I have also given up anger, regret & resentment.

Everyone’s journey is different. Love and courage are required to survive this challenge. I wish you the very best.

• Carolyn4255
    Carolyn4255 Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

Hi Crushed...To live with this cruel disease for 14 years is unimaginable. But I know that could be my husband's fate as well. How do you manage the grief? I live under a cloud of grief that feels like it will never lift. Every minute of every day I'm reminded of all that has been lost. I dread and fear what's ahead as well (my doctor calls this anticipatory grief).

CStrope...thank you for the tip. I did indeed join the FTD group as well.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Carolyn, that is beautiful. Horrible and beautiful all at the same time.

• TyroneSlothrop
    TyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 51
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Very nicely said! Thanks. Please post more pages, if you like.

• CARoberts
    CARoberts Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I agree completely! I think I must have misunderstood his Doctor who also told me to journal. I assumed I was supposed to share the journal with his Neurologist, so it’s full of observations of my husband, which she did in deed appreciate, but maybe I was supposed to write down my feelings to help me work through them?!?!

• DianeB608
    DianeB608 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi Carolyn,
    I'm new here too. Most here have more experience and wisdom than I do, my husband is a FTD sufferer and is only 67- 5 years into this. I am a worrier and anxiety queen but two things I would offer that might help to ward off depression.

1. Don't get ahead of your ski's. By that I mean, don't spend time looking at the future. There is nothing there for you- get through your day, hour, minute and start over every morning.
    2. Your present is not your future. I don't know how long this thing is going to go on or what is going to happen but I don't feel I need to know anymore. I will manage what happens, when it happens. It's working for me sometimes it's my mantra...

People seem lovely here and we both have joined a group that are walking our same paths.

diane
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

You asked

"How do you manage the grief? I live under a cloud of grief that feels like it will never lift. Every minute of every day I'm reminded of all that has been lost."

As my therapists says my head goes one way and my heart goes another

Head part=== I spent my whole career dealing with disasters injury and death. (Safety regulatory professor in an Engineering school) I have no religion. Life is an adventure and a gamble and then ends. All in all DW and I had a wonderful life together. We walked with bears and rhinos, dove around the world, skied a little, and raised two wonderful daughters. We had professional success and private love and affection.

Heart part === my heart screams at the universe every day that this is simply wrong wrong wrong

Sometimes a poem helps

"And did you get what

you wanted from this life, even so?

I did.

And what did you want?

To call myself beloved, to feel myself

beloved on the earth."

“Late Fragment” by Raymond Carver

In the end the love of our loved ones is the reason for living and the most painful part of the end

• spunkykid578
    spunkykid578 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am new to this as well and it is completely overwhelming. Please look into getting a therapist for you as it is another layer of added support. Is virtual therapy something that you are able to get into sooner. I wish there were support groups. Where I live there is nothing within an hour and a half. And online groups that I have found are usually during the day. Also, consider medication. There are so many different options out there. They take the edge off but dont worry you still feel all the emotions. Please feel free to message me privately if you want to chat one on one.

• spunkykid578

Believe me I am just as ill equipped and not together at all. The fact that I have two children at home is the only reason I am able to keep it together. I am sitting hear in tears tonight.

• spunkykid578

• spunkykid578

Please tell me how you have given up anger and resentment? I could use any tips now.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care