Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pros and cons of home care vs memory care--and misperceptions? For educational purposes

2»

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 799
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

M1 is correct about Medicaid spend-down for any condition that requires longterm care. But I think Linda makes a really important point. For diseases where it is literally unsafe to leave your LO alone, there are plenty of profitable businesses but not a lot of help if you can't afford to pay. MCs are so costly, many can't even begin to figure out how to pay, and those who do are often left holding the bag after using so much of their retirement savings to cover the cost. And then Medicaid is so complex that almost everyone needs a lawyer to manage the application process (more money!) - it's a system that seems almost designed to keep you from accessing it. I'm very lucky and I know it.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

M1 - Thanks for catching that! I actually meant Medicaid, since Medicare, as you say, doesn't cover long term care.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Bill, it all comes out of our retirement savings at 6k mo and will dry up in about a year and half. It's a big deal and very painful to watch that money get sucked out of our life savings. I could do the medicaid spend down but right now it's worth it to have her in a good private pay MC. I don't know what will be left for me when it's all said and done but that's a mountain I'll have to climb when I get there. Doing what I can to hopefully replenish some of it but we'll have to see in a year or two.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am struggling with this decision right now. I am getting ready to place DH. He has been having rages and it scares me. My DS, DDIL and both of my sisters have been saying that he needs to be in MC for a while. I can manage to pay for it, at least for some amount of time. The hardest part is that in between the rages and aggression he's mostly quiet. I need to constantly remind myself that he could actually hurt me, damage property or hurt someone else. I also need to remind myself that the progression cannot be stopped. The fear of his reaction and the guilt about placing feel overwhelming, making it hard to move the process along. It's hard not to put myself in his shoes. It's hard to truly believe his "real self" is no longer in there somewhere, no matter what anyone tells me. It's like so many tough choices we have to make in life, it must be guided by careful thought, even though emotions run rampant.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,702
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Mra, this is kind of off topic for this thread, but: I fear that if you place him without addressing the rage, he may be aggressive in the memory care and end up in the hospital right off the bat. Perhaps you need to consider hospitalizing him first before placement? If you don't go that route, I would at least have a frank discussion with the MC admin about how they might handle such a scenario, so that no one ends up being unpleasantly surprised. I would hate for you to place him, have him be aggressive, have them call the police to hsopitalize him and then refuse to take him back. That would be the worst possible scenario.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
    edited March 9

M1 and Mra,

That's scenario describes exactly what happened when my brothers and I tried to place my dad. He originally agreed to a "trial stay" at a MC facility in another city close to my brother. He walked into his room, must have figured out what was up, and bolted into the street and tried to flag down a car so he could call someone. He was upset and aggressive with me. We ended up having to call the police and they took him to the ER in a small town without a psych ward. The ER supposedly gave him some anti anxiety meds and he was transported back to the MC. Again he got upset, pushed a caregiver down and took off. MC said no way is he coming here. We took him back to my brother's house. That night he took off and we were awakened by the police knocking at the door. He left the house while we were sleeping, was roaming the neighborhood, and a neighbor called the police. Fortunately they had our address from the previous encounter. Since he had injured himself and needed further medical attention I took him back to the hospital the next day and tried to figure out what to do. I then told the social worker at the hospital that I did not have a "safe discharge" (thank you Alzheimer's Help line). They agreed to keep him for 3 days of observation with an attendant present 24/7. Over that period I was able to locate a geriatric care doctor and another facility that knew how to deal with and help him. Make sure you get some help and advice.

A long story (and I gave you the abridged version :-) ) but I just wanted to reaffirm what M1 had suggested by providing an actual "nightmare".

The good news is he eventually settled in at the facility that specialized in dementia with behavioral issues and it worked out well enough for him and our family.

Best wishes,

Rick

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thanks for sharing your experience, Rick. And also thanks for your perspective, @M1 The things that happened to your dad are EXACTLY the stuff of my nightmares, @RickM . We are to have a meeting with several members of the care team at the MC prior to bringing him there and I intend to be frank with them. I have already told them that he is unhappy and angry, but I'm going to be specific about his past behavior. It is only right. The nurse who came to our house already asked me (by email after the visit) if he was on any medicine to calm him, and asked specifically about sertraline. He isn't. Also, it's taken six months to access it, but we are supposed to go and see a geriatric doc (not sure if this is a psychiatrist) at the end of this month, which will probably be before I even have a date for MC placement, and I intend to be frank with them, as well. I hope these measures will help me and DH achieve a little more peace in our lives than we have now.

• M1

He almost certainly will need medication to function in either environment--home or MC. It's not reasonable to expect a MC facility to be able to handle behaviors that you also cannot handle at home. I would think hard about a preemptive hospitalization. It is easier to get the medications right in a controlled environment.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Pro of MC: Someone else could see the behaviors I was seeing and I got ACTUAL help. Someone was there when he was awake at night when he was only sleeping 3 hours a night. And he was safe in a locked facility so he couldn't wander away.

Cons of MC: For me, DH's MC is a long drive away, so the time driving is an issue. I feel the judgement from people that I've placed him (I can ignore it, but it seeps in anyway). Caregivers are constantly changing, and I worry about someone taking good care of him.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Very insightful! Thank you for sharing the text to your mom's friend. Lots of good ideas in there. "Trying to stop the losses" is indeed a frustrating and fruitless battle. I'm learning to take today as a point in time - good or bad day, it's not forever and we will enjoy what we can (seeing a bird at the window, sharing a yummy dessert) while we have it.

For my family, placement in MC has allowed us those times together without the 24/7 heavy load and strain on the relationship. Of course, I am still responsible to supervise the care she receives and to be her advocate, always - but placement allows me to be her daughter and not just a care manager.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

@psg712 100%. So glad to be navigating this with people like you.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

This thread has been very helpful to me. I also live in Washington state and checked into MC pricing. It is just so expensive that we cannot afford it. What does one do? My LO is a disabled veteran so I have applied to the Veterans Home in Port Orchard, WA but the waiting list is extensive. That is my only financial option when the time comes. Hopefully, I will not need the service yet as it's not affordable.

• M1

Hi carmrn and two suggestions: call your local Council on Aging about any resources that might be available to you. Also talk to a certified elder law attorney about how to qualify him for Medicaid. That might give you other options.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more