Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can he move back home from Memory Care?

Jazzma
Jazzma Member Posts: 105
Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My husband went to a memory care facility 10 days ago after a health crisis pushed him over the edge mentally. He was so agitated and delusional that I couldn't take care of him. He never slept, often wandered the house with his eyes half-open talking nonsense syllables. I visited him for the first time yesterday and he is so much better -- he knew me, said he had missed me, and seemed okay with the idea that we now live in two different places. I'll talk with the nursing staff about his medications and sleep schedule. My question -- has anyone successfully brought a loved one back home after they went into memory care? I would so much rather have him here.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes.

I think a lot depends on what the situation was like before the crisis.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Please give some thought to the fact that he is more stable because of where he is. A safe secure facility with staff that rotate shifts and get to sleep and have a life when they go home. He might revert back to where he was before you placed him. And then it will be difficult to find you a place and harder for him to adjust the next time. Plus he is only going to get worse not better.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Many others have had second thoughts, few have successfully returned home. I just placed DW last Friday with much more challenging launch (agitation/combative triggering psych eval). I would give it at least 30 days for both of you to adjust. Remember why you got to placement, what would change that makes home a better place for more time, how much time, etc. Any improvements you see now are almost certainly temporary and progression will continue.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lady Texan brought her husband home with success, but it wasn't easy. If you can find some older posts by her, they might give a little more information about how it went for them. Whatever you do, just make sure you are making the decision with your mind instead of your heart. You don't want to make a mistake.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I brought my husband home from memory care. Visiting him made me emotional and guilty for keeping him there. He would cry when he saw me and looked so lost. Within two weeks of his return I was telling myself that I'd made a big mistake. I found a new memory care and put him in on Monday. Between admissions he slowly got mean, aggressive toward me and began having incontinence issues. It's true, they don't get better. This cost me financially and I had to begin again with all the medical and facility paperwork. My advice is to give it more time.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I have felt the same way. My DW is lovely with me when I visit that sometimes I wonder why I placed her until I look at the video and photos of her at her worst and then I'm like okay, I can't handle that again.

• tetwoman
    tetwoman Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I placed my husband today. I don’t regret it. I am sad but grateful that he is getting better care there than I could at home. I know he will only get worse. And I have taken to heart Gigi’s advice. Give it time. Don’t romanticize your time when he was home. Remember that we can’t stop the progression of this disease.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Jazzma, I am glad your visit went well. I have no advice for you but I want you to know we all support whatever you decide . So much of this is just a guessing game .Give yourself some good respite time as you ponder what to do.

• Jazzma

Thank you all so much for your sharing your experiences and support. Today when I visited him he was the most lucid he's been in months. It was like talking to an equal partner again. He couldn't understand why he had to stay there. I explained that he had been so sick I couldn't take care of him and I didn't want that to happen again. I've made an appointment with a neurologist and will explore all of my options for support at home before bringing him back. Today was tough though. I just wanted to pack him up and go home.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Before you bring him home, remind yourself why you placed him in the first place as it could be that his memory care’s smaller environment with simple routines, companionship, and senior activities provides him peace of mind.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

Please take this observation to heart. His world is potentially more manageable now and he can function better in it, so he appears more lucid to you.

• Jazzma

Jgirl57 Thank you so much. The support here is so tangible. I've never met any of you but you help me so very much.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more