Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH placed this week-ups and downs

My DH went to memory care on Monday-my daughter and I brought him in. He was fairly confused about what was happening when we left, but seemed okay. Monday night the memory care staff called me, and said he was agitated and had barricaded the door to the kitchen. I got on the phone with him and was able to calm him down. They gave him a low dose of Seroquel too (he has an as-needed prescription), and that helped.

He hasn’t been agitated since then, but has crying spells (which he also had at home) because he misses me and is so disoriented. I visit daily and my daughter visits as often as her work schedule allows, and every time he sees us he bursts into tears. I asked the staff if our presence was triggering for him, but they thought the visits were helpful.

On Thursday my DH was not only weepy, but very delusional (again, behavior that happened at home too). He thought he had killed his whole family. I think when he gets so anxious he tries to find a reason for that anxiety and decides he must have done something wrong. I was able to reassure him, but talked to the nurse about upping his medications. Luckily his Geri-psych also works at his facility.

Though he has his down times, he also has good times too. He loves the food and many of the activities.

I have been impressed with the way the staff at his memory care handle him. They don’t mind if he shadows them, and give him little things to do so he feels useful. They are masters at distraction. The facility has a low-key, calm atmosphere-nothing is ever rushed. If a resident doesn’t want to do something, they don’t insist, but wait and ask again later. I wish I could have been more like them when my DH was home.

I miss my husband and don’t like to think of him being unhappy. But if I’m honest, he wasn’t happy all the time at home either. After caregiving at home for six years, I was tired. Though I still worry about him, I feel much more relaxed, like I’ve passed the baton to the memory care staff.

So overall it’s been up and down. I’m going to stay the course. The memory care staff thinks it will take a month or so for him to settle in, and I’ll continue my daily visits and hope for the best.

This was a long post! But I wanted to provide another perspective on the experience of placing a loved one in memory care.

Tagged:

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It sounds as though it is going fairly well so far. Hoping you can get some rest and restoration.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Clarinetist, it's a big/huge adjustment. The things you describe are helpful for me to hear and helps prepare me for the future. The facility staff sound like they are experienced and supportive in handling whatever comes up. It'll take time and adjustment, yet they are patient and tolerant as they need to be. I hope you can relax into the new arrangements as you make your own immense adjustment to the changing siutation.

By the way, I was a clarinetist through my college days and beyond. They are fond memories. I met my husband long ago when we were in 7th grade band class.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and describing your dh's mc experience so far.

Hugs and best wishes.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

If/when the time comes I must place my DH, I hope I have access to a facility like that! At least to good caring people!

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. I hope things continue to settle down .

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It sounds a though you have a great facility for him. Count your blessings. Not every facility has staff that really cares about the individuals.

It also sounds as if his "down times" are not something new. If they are a little more pronounced now, that could be part of becoming used to his new way of life. And with a geri-psych available, I don't think you can ask for anything more. It's good to hear about the positives.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more