Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A new diagnosis

Recently the diagnosis for my spouse is vascular dementia. I do not know what to do next or what help to get. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. If you look to the right under "groups," there is a group for new members that collects many helpful handouts in one place, including staging tools and a link to a free pamphlet called "understanding the dementia experience.". Many also recommend reading the book " The 36 Hour Day."

Number one priority is to be sure your legal affairs are in order, you will need to hold his power of attorney for healthcare and finances. Right behind that is financial planning in case you need to get him qualified for Medicaid. A certified elder law attorney can assist with all of these (look at nelf.org).

If you read a lot of discussions here you will learn a lot. It's a supportive place.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Welcome! You’ll find a lot of support and encouragement on the forum. Along with great information! Take advantage of the resources provided. Ask all the questions you need answered. Read as much as you can find about the disease. Vent, cry, we all do it. We support each other!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more