Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite caregiver struggle

My DW is early/mid stage Alzheimer's. I recently hired a caregiver/respite worker to come for 3 hours a week. He's an experienced fellow and provides not only assurance of her safety but also engaging conversation. She seems engaged with him when he comes but afterward gets angry with me and sad for about a day.

I think it has to do with the fact she doesn't think she needs a "babysitter" and also that it reminds her that her condition is only going to get worse. She doesn't really need a "babysitter" yet, though does need some fundamental reminders such as making sure she stays hydrated and snacks to keep up her blood sugar. Otherwise she tends to get dizzy and has passed out on me a few times.

I wanted to get him in place now as a safety net, so I think it was a good idea to start the habit now. However, if she's going to get down about it every time afterwards…I don't know. Should I back off the caregiver? Let it ride and hope she gets used to it? Do something different?

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

keep the caregiver! The road is long!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

It can be hard to find a good one, so I would definitely keep him if you think he is doing a good job with her.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Stick with the caregiver. I have someone come in three days/week for 4 hours. I don't explain why the caregiver is here and my DH doesn't ask why. I just announce that Tom will be here in 10 minutes and my DH says "ok." I go out for the entire time and it all works out well.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

For sure keep the caregiver. I am still struggling with this. DH refuses a caregiver. He is so clingy. I get zero time alone. He is by my side always. I can’t have open conversations with friends, family, care team. Would love to hear what others have done who have been in this situation .

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree; stick with it. My HWD/Alz does better when I bring home a sweet treat and immediately get busy with a household chore . I ignore the grumbly behavior . Hang in there

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Sounds like my DW is much further along (stage 6), even so, she's really bonded with one of her caregivers, she can only speak in spurts and word salad but when she shows up, DW recognizes her immediately, smile lights up the room, sides right up to her. But…..when she leaves, she gets cranky but it passes. Think what your observing is somewhat the same. I totally agree with the others keep great help, its gold, down the road, when more hours are needed, who better than the person who seems to have bonded with your wife.

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I wonder if you brought him in more often and included times when you are home so he might feel more like a friend instead of a babysitter

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

It took about a year to find the right caregiver for my DH. We went through several before the right one rang the doorbell. Don't give up. It sounds like your DW is okay with the caregiver you have but wants to make sure you understand she does not need a babysitter. My DH was like that. He said he didn't need a babysitter and I agreed with him. I told him the caregiver was a friend who had come to visit with him and play cards. He never did remember her name but his face lit up when she entered the house. And as soon as I left he was engaged and okay with her being there.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Absolutely keep the caregiver!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia