Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

It's so lonely

hi I am Amy (61) and my husband (64) was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in June 2023. Since I am also disabled I knew we had to get out of our house and into a care environment before disaster struck. We are in a really nice Assisted Living place now.

Currently Ive been feeling lonely even though we're together all the time. I guess because he's not really all here. Ive made friends at assisted living, but it's him Im lonely for.

I really appreciate having this forum because I can say things like this here & you all get it.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Amy glad you're in a safe environment, but yes, it remains crushingly isolating. I think nearly all of us who are fortunate enough to have loving marriages/partnerships miss our loved ones. And i very much agree that this forum helps.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

It's good, and important, that you've made friends at your ALF. What you're missing is being able to have a conversation with your DH. Instinctively you will turn to him to ask a question, share a thought, discuss the news, but the person you knew is no longer there. So over time you say less and less. Of course you're lonely.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Hi Amy,

My DW was diagnosed with EOAD 5 years ago. We are in our mid 60's now and DW is in MC. We, or perhaps I should say, I just celebrated our 42nd anniversary. I am grateful that DW is still alive and recognizes me when I visit. Even so, I often feel a deep loneliness as much of who she was is gone. I try to remain focused on blessings of the years we enjoyed together and cherish the time we have left. AD is aptly described as the long goodbye. I pray that you will find strength in God, friends and family. You do indeed have a community that understands and supports you here on this forum.

Tom

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I agree with you. I miss my best friend who I could talk to about anything. Nothing can get rid of that simple fact.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Amy, I too feel your pain. I miss my husband so much. I can no longer have a normal reasonable conversation with him. This is not the retirement we long for and worked so hard for. I find the loneliness is compounded by missing time I used to spend with my friends and family. I’m with my husband 24x7. I think it is great you found a nice assisted living community. No one can replace your husband, but it is good for you to be able to connect with others and develop other meaningful relationships. This forum has been a Godsend for me.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello Amy! Welcome to this forum. We all completely understand your feelings! We’re going through the same things! This is a safe place to share, to ask questions, or to vent. We need each other’s support and encouragement. Join in as often as you can.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes and welcome! Before I found this support group I thought I was completely alone but now I've realized I'm not alone in what I think, how I feel and what I share and so many of my feelings and thoughts are shared with and by so many others here.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I totally get it. DH only wants to talk about what he wants to talk about, and because I have to be here all the time I truly miss good conversations with other adults. Also, his capacity for empathy, which was once so great, is gone. Missing the empathy, missing the shared decisions…these are completely the norm. You are among friends.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more