Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caring for father in mid-stage Alzheimer's

anngarner14
anngarner14 Member Posts: 2 Member
Hello, I am new to this discussion board. I am one of a few people caring for my father in mid-stage Alzheimer's. One of the biggest challenges we have is changing his depends and getting him to shower. He becomes angry and won't change or take a shower. Sometimes it's 2-3 weeks between showers. I am so afraid for his health. Even the professional caregivers my sister and I have hired are unable to get him to shower. Any advice?

We do put a heater on in the bathroom since he is always cold, and the shower is a walk in with handrails and a seat. We try to use encouraging language. We don't get angry with him. But he just refuses. Open to suggestions.

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi anngarner14 - welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason.

Unfortunately, the cleansing issues are not unusual. You (or the caregivers) could try either a spongebath, or maybe those no-rinse washcloths.

In some cases, a PWD's depth perception is off, and can seem like they would be stepping into an abyss. In other cases, they feel they just did take a shower, so don't need another. There can be a number of reasons. It is good you don't get angry, but if you are trying to reason with him, his reasoner is broken and he just won't 'get it'.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more