Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Who offers Medigap for elderly people with dementia?

Huck123
Huck123 Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Hi All, my Mother is 81 years old and has dementia- I am needing to sign her up for supplemental health insurance because the MC facility I am trying to get her into requires it in addition to her Medicare. All the companies I have called so far to ask if they offer Medigap for someone with dementia have said no. I need help, does any one know of a health insurance company that will say yes?

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 799
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We were able to get the supplemental policy from United Healthcare through AARP.

• Huck123
    Huck123 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    > @"Jeanne C." said:
    > We were able to get the supplemental policy from United Healthcare through AARP.

Thank you so much!
  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

This is just what we did for our own personal healthcare. We found a business that helps you find the best price on health insurance. She was able to pull up many different insurance companies. She asked about various things that might give us a discount, and what we would qualify for. Then we chose the policy and insurance company we wanted. It did not cost us anything( the help). She said she got paid through all the insurance companies. The place we went was called my insurance lady in Michigan. You’re probably not in Michigan, but she might be able to to give you the name of a place in your state. She might even be able to handle out of state customers.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more