Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Teacher Retirement makes us unable to qualify for a Texas disability exemption?

Young onset husband worked for 18 years as a teacher. He left 10 years ago for what we called "stress" then, but same symptoms he's experiencing now. Confirmed Alzheimers. Because he never wanted to return to school, he transferred out his measly retirement account to an IRA. We were just denied SSDI, I'm assuming because he didn't contribute for the 10 year mark. Okay, I guess, but we also can't file a freeze on Texas property taxes (which I get worried about) without a SSDI (which wouldn't apply to teachers!). Is all of this true or am I missing something? Any other teachers?

We also have 6 minors at home so I suppose they are penalized because their father worked for a noncontributing SSI entity? I don't want to milk the system, but surely this isn't correct?

Comments

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 518
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I wish I could answer your question, but I don't know. Your best bet, and frankly what you need to do ASAP is to contact an eldercare attorney. Explain in great detail to them your position and see what your options truly are.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know what you find out.

eagle

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I second getting in touch with an elder care atty though I know that may be expensive. Medicaid and Medicare will cover some costs and there may be other programs through your state and non profits. Contact your office of aging for assistance. I’m sorry you are going through such financial stress. It’s really awful for dementia patients.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 518
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Just checking in to see what you've found out. You might also contact your local ALZ Chapter to see if they might be able to at least refer you to someone.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney