Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

His last night at home

2»

Comments

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DW has anosognosia, so she is incensed if someone implies that she has AD or dementia. AD is in her online medical records, and every time she sees that she gets upset. (That's becoming less of a problem as she becomes less and less adept at using her laptop.) A neuro-psych eval in 2020 said "Alzheimer's disease" up front. DW says those folks are quacks. I just avoid the topic.

The problem is, as I've said in other discussions, because she "doesn't have a problem", it's hard for me to get support that won't set her off. "Why do I need help?" She was going to a day program for a few weeks, and that was certainly helpful for me, but I've had to drop it, and I'm 24/7 again. This online group is my only caregiver support, because I can participate without her knowing what I'm doing. At some point I will need to get a part-time in-home aide, because I can no longer leave DW alone in the house or she panics and thinks I'm not coming back.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I placed my wife seven months ago. She has adjusted better than I have.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Beachfan, thank you for that. It's been a week now and every day I wonder if I jumped the gun. I wish he were home. Mornings were good, nights were good most of the time. Maybe I could have put him in daycare? The deciding factor for me was that I couldn't keep him safe during sundowning—I couldn't keep up with him and would have had to lock up every potentially dangerous thing in the house. He was also starting to go outside to pee at night when he woke up. Knowing that would only get worse.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Jazzma, remember that day care won't help with sundowning or overnight care. It would let you take a nap during the day so being up during the night would be less exhausting, but how sustainable is that?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more