Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

His last night at home

Jazzma
Jazzma Member Posts: 105
Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

This is the last night my DH will spend at home. I understand now that he can’t live here, I can’t take care of him, I can’t keep him from slipping away. I’ve tried to hold him so tightly that he can’t forget me or home, but it is not reality. He will drift away, take his own road from here. He will forget me, our history, our home. I can’t hold him and I can’t go along. Maybe I can still hold his hand and go for walks as someone he thinks is nice.

So what am I doing? Drinking wine. Today was the last ‘sundowning’ episode, the time that starts around 2 and goes until 6:00 when he gets manic, agitated, delusional, focused on having to do something that he can’t explain, irritated because I don’t understand. We drove 30 minutes to another town to buy groceries because the drive ate up some of the sundowning time. When we got home, while I was sorting groceries, he peed all over the garage stairs. He tried to clean up the kitchen, ‘washed’ the butter with soap and water, wiped melted butter all over the sink and faucet. I’m hoping that putting food in front of him now will hold him until this episode passes. He’s had 2 Seroquel and a Trazodone. One more Trazodone before bed.

I feel like I should be treasuring this last night, but I’m too jangly to do that. Maybe once we get to bed and things calm down.

I know many of you have been through this night. Thanks for being there.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. I know this is a night you won't forget. I remember ours.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So heartbreaking for you Jazzma. I’m so very sorry. It’s knowing that’s making this doubly hard. Hugs and prayers💜

• Pdxnewbie
    Pdxnewbie Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

You are doing the right thing for both of you.

• Pdxnewbie

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jazzma,

If it’s any consolation, my DH was home for 11 1/2 years, in MC for 17 months and dead now for 1 year and there are still times that I question my decision to place him. But then I come to my senses. You are doing the right thing in the moment; if it’s not right, you can always rescind. Stay strong and anticipate the time when you can enjoy his company, if only to hold his hand or walk with him. You can do this; it’s hard, but doable. We are all pulling for you!!!

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

What a fraught day and night. It's the right thing. My best to you. I wish for you thaty the inner strength that you have called on until now keeps providing in the next few hours and days. Kathy

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

What an exhausting experience. And to think of doing it night after night, oh my. It does not sound sustainable for you, or your DH. Once the move happens and you’ve both had time to rest, relax and adjust to your new realities, I hope you will find the peace of knowing your decision was the right one for both of you.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

my heart goes out to you. Good luck tomorrow.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking of you from here. You've struggled mightily with this decision, and I pray you find some level of peace. Thank you for sharing your journey. We'll all be standing beside you as you face the day. Big hugs.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Jazzma

I hope you have a seamless transfer to the MCF today followed by an easy transition to your new routines. Cobbling onto what Beachfan said, my mom found it easier to do the emotional piece of caregiving dad once professionals were doing the hands-on caregiving.

HB

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am so sorry you and your DH are going through this. You are doing the right thing. After the transition, I hope you can get some rest and settle into a new routine. Be kind to yourself.

• M1

So glad to hear that it went well. That will make your grief a little easier to bear. Hang in there, it's still a big transition.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I’m so glad the transition went smoothly. Please let us know how you’re doing in the next few days. Sending hugs.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

thank you for the update…

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad to hear the move went smoothly. Give yourself some grace and take time to settle into this transition. Hugs to you.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Jazzma,

My eyes filled with tears as I read your description of your DH’s last day at home. I don’t know what my DH’s journey will be like but I hope I make the right decisions along the way. I once said “never” to placement in Memory Care but after being on this forum, I know that isn’t realistic. I wish peace for you and your DH as you adjust to this part of your journey.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m glad to hear you had a smooth transition. The most difficult part for me was when I returned to an empty home. Keep yourself busy in the coming days and try to get out with friends or family. I found that was the best way to keep the loneliness in check.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am glad the transition was smooth.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am so glad you were able to make this transition. I'm just completing my first week on my own. It feels very strange and too quiet, but somehow I've taken comfort in completing small tasks, visiting with DS and family, and getting out for walks or to the library.

My DH had been so angry and unpredictable for so long that I haven't yet begun to remember what he was like in the "before" times. I'm glad you can remember and actually use those memories to motivate you to visit and help advocate for him.

Be gentle with yourself now.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm back home tonight after spending 4 days with my brother and sister-in-law. They are loving, kind, and supportive. I could cry any time, sleep as much as I needed, talk endlessly. I finally feel that I have accepted reality and am able to continue with my life. My DH is happy at his new memory facility. When I call he doesn't know who I am but he's happy to talk.

I would not have survived this without my family, friends, and all of you here who understand. I've learned a lot. I'll stay on this site and hopefully my experience can help others as much as you've helped me.

It's not over. It may never be over. But I can live with what it is now.

• Pdxnewbie

Good to hear. Your experience sounds so different from my experience with my wife. I guess all MC facilities are not the same. It sounds like the worst is behind you.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi Everyone- I'm very moved by what I'v read tonight. I relate to so many of your stories, I've been glued to the page feeling like OMG, here is a whole group of people that really get it, deeply get it! I instantly felt like I was "home."

Though I'm new here, I have grappled with my wife's (we've been together 40 years) growing cognitive symptoms for at least the past 10 years. She has become outraged every time I've brought it up over the years. After several strife filled conversations, finally a few months ago she agreed (angrily) to go for testing. She is mid stage AD.

Even though this was no surprise to me, and even though it seemed she had had no self awareness of her condition, we were both crushed to hear the neurologist say it out loud. We held each other for the first time in a long while and we cried together. In the moment, I regretted pushing her to get tested because her ignorance was her bliss, and I felt I had really hurt her unnecessarily. But she got over it, superficially anyway, even though she's still gets mad about it.

But there seems to be a positive to it, in that going through the diagnostic process together has helped me feel like I am not keeping a secret from her, she knows what I think is going on, even though she still disagrees. I think, at least for now, it has brought us closer.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi to the group!

Heartfelt Best Wishes to Everyone here!

• M1

Hi Karen and welcome. Read about anosognosia, that's the name for her inability to perceive her deficits.

• dhr
    dhr Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

What you describe is why I have not insisted on my husband being formally diagnosed. My mom had this disease so I know it. Plus both hubby and I were in the medical field. He knows his memory isn't great but has not put 2 and 2 together. Because he was actually a neurologist he would be devastated beyond belief. I might have to force the issue, but thankfully not yet.

• Karen711

I’ve been hesitating for years. Finally I caved after so much pressure from her family to get it done. And, I did think- what if she has some other underlying condition that could be addressed that might possibly help things. I will say that having an actual diagnosis has opened up a whole host of support services to ME which weren’t available before. Meetings with a social worker from the neurologist’s office have led to Support groups and access to respite services I was unaware of before. After ten+ years of dealing by myself I was getting worn toooo thin and so this testing thing has helped me far more than it’s done anything for her. The other good news is that she, most of the time, doesn’t think about it anymore unless something reminds her of it.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My dh was aware of his diagnosis at the time but no longer is. He'll tell me how great it is that we're both healthy. Once he overheard someone at memory care saying he had Alzheimer's and he was devastated.

Our neurologist was not nearly so supportive. He practically threw an Alzheimer's Association flyer at me and that was it. I had pursued diagnosis so my dh could go on disability, and diagnosis is all I got from that neurologist!

• Karen711

I think we were lucky in that there is a specialty practice whose focus is strictly cognitive issues. They are set up to offer support services, knowing they have very little to offer medically. “Lucky”

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited May 5

Jazzma, your description in some ways is so spot on. They do take their own road and you can't go with. They do forget their loved ones and their history. In some ways it's a relief because it can end really hard behaviors and questions when they leave us behind. But it is still so very painful; painful beyond words and only people who have been through this can understand fully. But in some ways the connection is still in there, at least it was for my situation. Mom knew I was someone she liked. I knew that deep down in there, somewhere, she knew me. She still somehow knew her husband, even though not in a classical sense. She still lit up when he visited even though she had no words or actual concept of who he was. At the end when she was transitioning to active dying, dad had recently had surgery and I had not been able to get him there to see her for a few weeks. When he finally came in the last 48 hours of her life, she had been waiting for him. She had not been showing any signs of awareness for a few days. She opened her eyes for the first time in a while when he spoke to her, and a small smile or recognition crossed her lips. It was the last time she opened her eyes and it wasn't long before she was gone. The love, the history is still there somehow, though not as we wish. You'll have to carry it now with your pain as a part of your love story. I am sorry you are going through this but glad you made a decision that is the best choice given the circumstances.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more