Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to truly block spam phone calls

MichaelG
MichaelG Member Posts: 2 Member

My father has dementia and is eager to talk to every telemarketer. This has the phone ringing dozens of times a day, with him wasting lots of time talking to people selling services he doesn't need. Worse, the caller is sometimes a scammer, and Dad is gullible enough that he's given away his credit card and other sensitive information a few times. But we want him to have a phone so we can contact him. His flip phone basically has no blocking options. The home phone is now a Samsung smart phone, and I've found how to put that on "Do Not Disturb", so it only rings if the caller is on the Contact list. (I also usually manage to keep that home phone away from Dad. I live with parents now, but work outside the home during the day.)

Does anyone know a good solution to this? Is there a flip phone that I could set to "Do Not Disturb" and only let callers from an approved list through? Or some other way to set up a phone account to really keep the telemarketers and thieves blocked, but to allow approved callers through?

A flip phone would be best if possible because that's what he's used to, or anyway a simple-to-use phone like the Jitterbug he has now. [I hope I'm not breaking any rules about naming particular companies; I'm not trying to sell anyone's products.]

Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• mabelgirl
    mabelgirl Member Posts: 200
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

the RAZ phone allows only callers you enable to call. It’s a bit pricey but it has helped my mom stop calling banks and others she shouldn’t. It’s easy to use touch picture of person to call.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more