Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New diagnosis after 4 years

PKidd
PKidd Member Posts: 18
10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I am brand new to this group. As I am reading your posts I am encouraged by the support you give one another. I sure could use it!

My DH started showing signs of dementia 4 years ago. We have been going to the doc all this time. One week ago, after doing some tests, they have diagnosed him with vascular dementia. Even though I knew it and we have been living with it, hearing the doctor say it has sent me into a very sad place. He is already a bit past mid stage and not much like himself anymore. I feel paralyzed, like I don't know what to do to move forward. I am just sad.

Comments

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Welcome to the group - it's a wonderful place to ask questions, vent, validate your feelings, from people who really understand what you're going through. So sorry about your situation. You're feeling the same feelings as many of us, especially when you actually hear it from the doctor. It's a gut punch! I remember that feeling the first time my DH's primary asked him to draw a clock and I saw what he drew. I just knew that was the beginning of a long journey. It's such a sad place to be. But over time, you'll accept it. As many will tell you, if you haven't already done so, make sure you get your financial and legal ducks in a row. Meet with a certified elder law attorney to get the documentation done that will most benefit you and your DH.

We're with you in spirit every day!

• HowDidIGetHere
    HowDidIGetHere Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have noticed changes gradually for the last decade and yes, he went to all his doctors appointments too, supposedly sharing my concerns. When he started coming home unable to tell me what they said, I started going with him. He did very poorly on the MOCA. It is hard to understand how nothing was noticed until I started to go to the appointments with him. Maybe that’s more common than I know. I can relate to all you shared. Hang in there! 🌺
  • Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I have found that just because you know, it still takes your breath away to hear the truth from the doctor. It was this way for me. So very glad you have found us.

• PKidd
    PKidd Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Oh wow! When my DH drew the clock I felt just like that!

Thanks for the advice about an elder law attorney. Luckily, I actually know one. That's where I will start.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more