Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinence Question

Denise1847
Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is starting with urinary incontinence. I have seen multiple wet briefs in the hamper on different occasions. He does not speak of it as I am sure he is embarrassed. He has not had nighttime incontinence yet. Because he isn't speaking of it, I am concerned that he will try to hide the briefs by flushing them down the toilet. Has anyone had this happen? I am thinking I should speak to him about it by saying that it is no big deal and this happens as we age. I was going to get a plastic lined small basket in the bathroom for him to put them in. I know we have to transition to incontinence briefs but I have done that yet. Any suggestions on incontinence men's briefs that don't look like diapers? He is still mobile and somewhat lucid most of the time.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The pullup style worked for us when he transitioned to incontinence briefs. Depends makes a gray one that kinda looks like underwear. I was already setting out his clothes and helping him dress, so I just switched him over without fanfare. And yes, he tried to flush wet briefs. He also tried hiding them (under the bed, in the trash, etc. This was around the time I added child safety locks to the closets to avoid surprises). I truly felt so bad for him, because he was upset and embarrassed. I just answered matter-of-factly the few times he brought it up. "These will protect your clothes. It's not a big deal."

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I got the pull-ups, they look and feel more like underwear. So far so good.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
  • Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

My LO started urinary incontinence about three weeks ago. The first time it happened was, of course, the one night I did not put pull-ups on him. I woke up to a soaked him and bedding. Thank goodness I had already placed waterproof mattress pad over mattress.

I use the Dry Direct Ultimate Protective Underwear that I buy from parentgiving.com for overnight; they have more coverage than store bought ones, have not leaked (yet) and are super absorbent (they were recommended on this forum). For daytime I use Assurance or CVS brand, I like them better than Depends.

He won't let me know when he is wet so I check him throughout the day. Denise, as an FYI, my LO occasionally throws the briefs in the toilet however, they get so waterlogged that they do not go down the toilet! Hooray for the little things that make me happy ! LOL

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

@ButterflyWings, that’s the second time in a week or two that you mentioned your DH not only talking, but making little jokes. That requires some reasoning ability. Is he usually still this verbal in stage 7? I’d say that is a big win!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband washed and dried his Depends twice!

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 3

@jfkoc you gotta love it, right? He gets an A for effort! DH hung his wet Depends up (on their own hanger) in the closet once before I knew to start checking there back in early incontinence days. I was following the odor after a couple of days and voila.

@ImMaggieMae No! He is barely verbal these days so it really is making me marvel and also grin from ear to ear when he comes out with these gems! I don't think he was making a joke though. Sometimes he holds on to his pull up for dear life and won't let me pull it down to change the pad insert. But when seated next to him I've gotten pretty good at quickly slipping my hand down under the waistband of his pants and making sure things are pointed in the right direction and I'm done before he can protest.

I often quickly grab something from him while chatting too, especially now that he's trying to bite anything in reach from his blanket to the pillowcase, to the thingy at the end of the drawstring, to the fluff he's picked out of the disposable chux, etc. I believe maybe he thought I was taking something from him (though it was part of him and in his pants), and he was able to tell me so. Still it was hilarious.

• ImMaggieMae

Well, at least he made sure they were really clean. And he’s thrifty too. I’m impressed. Lol. Did they stay in one piece? I’m surprised they didn’t end up like the dreaded Kleenex in the pants pockets!

• ImMaggieMae
    edited June 3

@ButterflyWings that still requires some reasoning. What about telling you you should take better care of, or watch your things when he grabbed that envelope with your notes from the other side of the couch as a snack? Sounds to me like there’s still some thought processing (and a little bit of snark) going on in that brain.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes you are right about that. It definitely is interesting to see clear evidence of what our LOs can still do, even in the face of so much dementia progression.

The snark is 100% him as is his overall gentle approach even when expressing disapproval. Don’t get me wrong, we have had some terrible, horrible days before Seroquel and during UTIs, but generally I’m so fortunate that his core personality is still intact.

We’ve made it this far - Stage 7 and it is moving a lot faster than Stage 6 did - so I’m taking whatever I can get. I know time is running out and I’m going to miss this guy.

• Denise1847
  • Denise1847

Thank you so much. Did you ever in your life think you would be dealing with this? I am still shaking my head on this journey. I am so grateful for the people on this site who so willing help each other.

• Denise1847

OMG! You can't make this stuff up.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia