Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Never ready for this

Comments

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Thinking of you and your beloved partner.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

To have nothing left unsaid…what a gift.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Man, I am so sorry, @M1 This is the really nightmarish part. Everything you say is true….

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh Dear God, M1. I’ve got nothing but extreme sympathy for you two. May something or someone step in to ease your burden. May you find a little peace and grace for yourself. I only hope I can be half the caregiver that you are.💜

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry M1. I wish there was a real system that could ensure that we could somehow make things easier and better for everyone involved. Our health care system isn’t set up to handle dementia patients medically, emotionally, financially, custodial care wise or any other way. Other than sedation and restraints, we’ve got no way of ensuring people in your wife’s condition don’t try to walk. And no way of making it better, no way of knowing how long it will go on.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited June 10

I'm so sorry, M1. I'm sending virtual support and strength. From what I can tell, you have trudged this journey with grace and dignity and love for your partner and for yourself. You continue to inspire me.

One hundred years since Alzheimer's was first "diagnosed" and our health care system is inhumane to all involved. I am so angry and sad. My hope is that when this is over for me and DH, I will have the energy and interest to work toward positive change.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((@M1)))

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

M1, my heart goes out to you. I can’t imagine the anguish you’re going through. I wish there were some words of comfort to ease your pain right now. Know that my prayers are with you and I’m holding you close.

Brenda

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@M1 I'm so sorry. No part of this journey is easy, but the very late stages are unbearable. But we do. What is humane and what is permitted are awful. Sending comfort your way. Rest when you can.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

me too…

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

Hoping that you can continue to draw on that well of strength I know you possess during these incredibly difficult times.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

You are always so wise and so strong. I pray for your and everyone’s continued strength on this journey.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 352
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Know that there are many, many people here who care about you and your DW and are walking with you in spirit on this heartbreaking journey. Prayers for you and all of us and our loved ones.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I have little to add, but my heart is with you. Kathy

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

M1, You are in my prayers and thoughts this morning. I found this part of the journey to be very challenging. Our instincts are to protect, treat and seek a cure even when our intellect knows better. I pray for your peace as you continue to love your partner along her pathway.

Tom

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am so sorry for you and your DW. On this journey, it seems like things just get harder and harder. It is like our system of care facilitates suffering instead of relief.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Feeling for you, too, M1. It's so awful that we can treat our animals more humanely than some of our fellow humans. My sister's friend (who's a veterinarian) always says "better a week early than five minutes late" about euthanasia for our animal friends. If only we could find a way to help everyone who needs or wants it. Meanwhile, trust that you are doing the right thing…may that thought bring some comfort.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Wishing you peace and strength through this late stage. I wish the medical system could be of more help to you and your wife.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dearest M1, I am thinking of you and am so very sorry for what is happening. Hopefully, a good MD will know a better drug to help than Haldol, and will be able to assist your partner into a more comfortable format.

With matters as they are, it is in all probability best to let her be the guide. If she refuses adequate nutrition, and only will eat brownies or other sweets, that is probably the most effective way to bring her comfort in that dynamic, especially since she is in Hospice. Sometimes, some good stuff can be hidden in the goodie stuff, but that would be up to you how much you would want to pursue that.

You have been a loving and caring partner and have stayed the course; she is blessed to have you by her side and understanding the dynamics as well as you do despite the deep and sad heartache that it brings.

Big soft hug and warmest of thoughts are being sent your way, please let us know how you are doing; we truly do care.

J.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

M1, I am so sorry for what you and your partner are suffering. You have loved and continue to love her so well.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

M1, I am so very sorry that you and your dear partner have wound up in this place. Everything about this disease is unbearably cruel. I am wishing you the strength to keep going in this incredibly difficult time. You are her North Star, and you are still lighting the way, however murky the road ahead may seem.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited June 14

Ugh, those days of the facility calling all the time about falls were so hard. I was so on edge and always in amped up mode ready for the other shoe to drop (or like 20 more shoes.) I know how untenable that phase feels, and it truly is. It cannot and will not last, something will give. There aren't right answers or choices now, just getting by and doing your best. It does sound like she may be getting to the end soon, and I hope you can remember your own advice you have wisely given to others about safe passage. You are doing everything you can to make her final days as comfortable as possible. You didn't deal her this hand, you are just doing the best job you can with it, and it's been impressive what you have managed for her. I hope you take it the right way when I say I hope she goes soon and peacefully. There does come a point where yes, you wish they could just be released from this as we lovingly do for our pets as you mentioned.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@M1- wow. Hospice is definitely not the time to swap out what is working. That was the opposite of comfort.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

While I am a big advocate of Hospice I know first hand that there are stupid people who get employed by them. I learned the hard way. I switched Hospices after interviewing several.

You are still in charge of your partners care! Further you can continue to use a private Dr.

It sounds like it may be coming more possible to bring her back to you if you can find additional help.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    edited June 14

Oh, no, I’m incredibly sorry to hear that she’s enduring withdrawal on top of everything. And that you’re having to witness that and manage the emotions that narcotic mismanagement is likely eliciting in you. I hope they get her back on her regular regimen and use hospice meds on top of that (or whatever is needed to rectify this). (As a physician who previously had CRPS, I want to scream at those staff who disregarded your knowledge and did that. Horrible). Hoping somehow she is now comfortable and things move smoothly and peacefully to a rapid close.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

MI I too pray that the end for your Loved One is near. I think I agree with your children that it is best that she stays where she is and your bringing her home would not be best for her or for you. You have fought the good fight and have been such a warrior and caring partner. Your own health has been compromised and I wish you peace and acceptance of what lies ahead. I am in stage 8 and have been since Nov 24th.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I have been thinking of you and hoping that Hospice has restored the meds that work well and are working more closely with you, respecting your input.

Must be exhausting and I am truly sorry for all that is happening; my heart goes out to you and I send warmest of thoughts your way.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney