Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

One success, one scare and one funny

Success—took my HWA to an adult day care for the first time today and he loved it!

Scare—have an appointment with an oncologist tomorrow to investigate some odd blood test results.

Funny—getting ready for bed last night and my HWA looked at me and asked, "Just what is your purpose here?" 🤔

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Good luck tomorrow with the Oncologist. The comment made was funny, I would be stumped coming up with a good comeback. I couldn’t find what the acronym HWA stands for when looking through the abbreviations.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Great post Laurie. So glad he liked the day care. And do let us know what happens tomorrow. Odd results usually bear repeating before jumping to conclusions but I'm sure you're worried. Fingers crossed...

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good luck at the oncologist & glad daycare went well.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Thanks for the laugh.

Good luck today.

HB

• trottingalong

Thank you for the HWA explanation. I was stumped.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thanks for sharing - we all need those lighter moments! Good luck with your doctor visit.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 13

Adult Day Care - Win! That's great!

Self Care - Good for you for staying on top of this. I hope all goes well.

*Edited - I see your response and also that it was your DH and not YOU facing a medical scare. I agree with M1, and would not do anything further given your DH's age and dementia stage, and would get hospice on board now. It has been 2.5 yrs for us with in-home hospice support so it is not too soon for you. Very helpful with all DH's ups and downs throughout Stage 6 and now early 7.

Question of the Day - Hilarious! The things our LOs come out with 🤣

• jecoiner
    jecoiner Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions First Comment
  • trottingalong
  • janeedee
    janeedee Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes First Comment

My DH has had a blood cancer (MPN) for 13 yrs now - ET (essential thrombocythemia) controlled with meds and reg blood tests. That I could deal with. The diagnosis of VD and ALZ with behavioral changes, caregiving and taking over all household responsibilities is a whole new ballgame.

• midge333

You will have some tough choices ahead. If he is in the early stages of Alzheimers, I think it is reasonable to do the diagnostic work up to determine exactly what cancer he has and treatment options. You may or may not choose to pursue treatment. If he is in the late stages of Alzheimers, I don't think I would pursue much of a diagnostic work up and certainly not treatment. Perhaps it would be reasonable to get a palliative care consult (if available) to help you in your decision making.

• midge333

And no, it isn't wrong to hope that the cancer takes him before he has to suffer the indignities of end stage Alzheimers. I hope every day that my DW dies of something else before she hits stage 6…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more