Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

antipsychotic meds and dementia

Lee39
Lee39 Member Posts: 6
5 Care Reactions First Comment

Others are likely very aware of this, but I just saw an article on a new study from the United Kingdom about adverse reactions in people with dementia from antipsychotic drugs. If anyone is interested, the article I saw was in "Worst Pills, Best Pills News" June 2024 issue. Perhaps someone more tech savvy than I can post a link to the article from their web site (www.worstpills.org)

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 14

we ARE aware. However in some situations it comes down to quality of life and safety - for both the PWD and their caregiver. Dementia is a terminal illness. Caregiving is required because the PWD is no longer able to care for themselves. If they are aggressive and agitated, then who can care for them without having their own physical safety threatened? These forums have many entries from people were attacked or threatened by the people they were attempting to care for. If a PWD attacks a person and causes harm… what is the legal system able to do with them.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum Lee. This is not new news, all of the antipsychotics carry a “black box” warning for adverse events in the elderly. But this study referenced in the April 2024 British Medical Journal has some flaws, it’s not clear that they controlled for disease severity. Of course those in the earlier stages of disease or without behavioral disturbances fared better. The sad fact is that for many of us there is no good alternative and it’s a matter of picking your poison. Many people including me are in the position of taking the risks of antipsychotic use in order to have a manageable quality of life for our loved ones and ourselves.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 356
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Same issue with SSRI antidepressants in teens. We use them anyway because the risk of untreated depression is not minor….. Remember that untreated symptoms can have severe consequences, too——another MD like @M1

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more