Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Travel with spouse in middle stage

KathyBol
KathyBol Member Posts: 12
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

We have been planning a trip to France for several months. My husband seems to have more pronounced symptoms lately. To be honest, I'm worried that an extended trip (3 wks) , with the traveling to several locations, may be too stressful for him. Has anyone travelled with their loved one? How did you manage the confusion and stress?

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    • Yes
    • Meds (for DH, stabilized well in advance of our travel dates.
    • Help (a travel partner with us)
    • TSA Cares airport assistance
    • Low expectations. If we needed to sit out an activity or excursion, no problem. End the trip early? No problem.
    • Prayers, fingers crossed & Luck!

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I have gotten extra anti-anxiety medications for our travel, which is severely limited at this point. We are about to get on a short flight today (40 minute flight) and I've already loaded her up with them because she is pacing and filled with anxiety about the travel.

Butterflywinds is spot on. Really lower your expectations on the trip. I know now that we'll likely spend more time in the hotel room than out together. That I'll get to explore things on my own, but not for too long. And that managing the travel days with meds/sleep aids for my DW is vital for my own sanity…as well as hers. I've gotten comfortable ordering in from great restaurants and just enjoying a meal together when I can't get her to leave the room, etc. It's such a strange reality we now live in.

Perhaps others know this already, but when they ask for people with disabilities or who need extra time to board, there is no paperwork requirement. At least now I can just take my DW during that call for boarding so the whole line isn't stacking up behind us as she meanders her way toward the plan and seat. Not that I fly with her a ton anymore, but discovering that really made boarding a much, much better experience.

• FriendinMaryland
    FriendinMaryland Member Posts: 10
    5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment

Hello Kathy,

I asked a very similar question in 2022 and got many detailed and helpful answers from our forum-mates. My post was titled:

He's taking her to Europe and she's in stage 5

I think if you just put that title in the search bar, the whole discussion will come up.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The air time can be a problem…bathrooms especially!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    edited June 19

my DH is stage 4/5. We cannot travel. As long as his routine stays the same at home he does pretty well. But traveling to another place, even though it may only be by car, throws him completely off kilter. His confusion escalates dramatically. It’s not fun. Alzheimer’s patients do better with routine. I would say expect to see more confusion and anxious behavior. Three weeks is a long time. I would suggest like the others that you lower expectations and then Be pleasantly surprised if everything goes to plan. Wishing you the best.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 19

Do you speak French? How would you explain his behaviors and needs? You posted that your DH doesn't believe that you are married to him.

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I wouldn't.

Removal from their usual routine and environment typically results in a, generally temporary, progression into the next stage of dementia in terms of skills and behaviors.

HB

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Great advice here about lowering expectations. On the last few trips I took with my DH, I had it in my head that if I had to change plans beige or during, that’s what I would do. I made sure to get travel insurance with “cancel for any reason” just in case. I only had to make minor changes on those trips and didn’t have quite as much fun as we used to have, but I was glad we took them. The biggest issue was his waking up during the night, not knowing where he was and being really confused, but i was able to calm him down or figure out what was really bothering him. Note that incontinence is not an issue with him yet - I think that would affect my decision. Also note that these were not extended trips, longest was a week with the longest flight leg being about 3.5 hours.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I traveled quite a bit with DW up through stage early stage 6 and I am so glad that I did. Towards the end I would only travel when we had other family members or friends to travel with incase I needed help. DW always enjoyed traveling and I have some great memories to cherish from those trips.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DW is stage 5 and I have decided not to travel anymore. To me, it is just not worth the stress. YMMV.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I recommend getting an air tag and attaching it to your LO. My DH carries a wallet all the time and it is in there. If he wanders off, I can track him down using my cell phone.

Our last trip, when he was about stage 4, was to a wedding I could not miss. He did great, until the end and as we drove away, and then he cried and cried and cried and wanted to go back and see everyone again. Not that irrational a response actually. I sympathized. Finally a conversation with a stranger about a lighthouse distracted him and he enjoyed the rest of the trip.

Now, in stage 5, maybe 6, his loss of inhibitions, periods of agitation, and distractibility make outings pretty dicey. Besides, with his memory loss, a replay of a nice walk near home seems plenty for him.

He is transported now listening to Olga Scheps play Beethoven's Piano Concerto #3 . Check it out on utube..

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I think it really depends on your DH's stage. Is he early? Stage 4 or early stage 5? Is so, then maybe. My s.o. and I took my sister to Italy/Sicily when she was later stage 4-early stage 5. Here's an old travel thread with my comment in it (lots of other good comments there too).

We did it as a cruise so that she'd be able to stay in the same room every night, kind of like creating a mini-routine. If you're staying in several different hotels, then yes, I think that might be too much. Just walking around to different locations was stressful for my sister. She never let me or my s.o. out of her sight.

And — it may have been a vacation for my sister, but it was work for me and my s.o. We did some serious logistics for that trip.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I very sadly advise not to go. I’m a francophile so I know how much it hurts to cancel those wonderful trips .Have you tried to anticipate all the potential challenges? How will he go to the public rest rooms? Is he incontinent? My husband was incontinent by mid-stage AD. The last trip we took was to visit my family. I took a satchel filled with bedding, diapers,cleaning supplies, and a big garbage bag. Suffice it to say, we needed all of it. Will you be able to follow him everywhere? You won’t be able to leave him alone. Change is anathema to people with dementia. An international trip sounds wonderful but could turn out nightmarish.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Generally, the PWD’s behavior deteriorates when they are taken away from their daily routines. The last overseas trip we were on with six other people had the following complications: one bag lost for 24plus hours, flat tire on the Mercedes van we hired, many miles from a service station, acute altitude sickness that included sky high blood pressure far from an ER, a head injury that required about 20 stitches from hitting the bus ceiling from a big bump in the road, food poisoning, motion sickness from windy roads. You get the picture. This all occurred with 8 people that were all of sound mind + health.

How is your H(or you) going to handle the stresses of even one of those on your trip? It was bad enough as it was.`

If you want to travel, do it with a friend or relative + have DH cared for at home(and I would not tell him where I was going either)

• KathyBol
    KathyBol Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thanks to everyone for your insightful replies. I have decided to cancel the trip and stick to day trips around New England and a regular routine at home. I have noticed his worry and concern with minor changes ,occurring more frequently. I can't imagine what busy airports and hotels would incur!

So grateful \for all of you!

• Care4Hubs
    Care4Hubs Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

My husband is probably beyond the mild stage at this point, and I am ready to give up traveling already. I have to pack for him. That isn’t a big issue, but I find that he has put his dirty clothes back in his closet instead of the hamper. So I have to wash all of his clothes before I can pack them. Then he gets confused about what we are doing and when we are leaving to come home. We have not done any traveling out of the country, so I cannot imagine how that would be.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more