Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thanks for the help as I go through this

It is so nice to see others are going through what I am going through. Here is what is hard today:

1. I feel like I am talking in circles, explaining and re-explaining things. Sometimes we talk about a subject just to find out that he has completely lost what that subject was.

2. I was asked where his glasses were no less than 10 times in an hour this morning.

3. Long story, but we need to put the garbage out for pickup on Wednesday nights. This turned into a very long process where he checked and rechecked if the garbage was really in the can and needed me out there the whole time to help.

4. I feel like I'm giving instructions to a 3 year old. One….step….at…a…time.

5. I'm tired of being needed for every little thing. I'm sure most of you feel that way, and I feel so selfish, but I'm tired. Help with picking clothes, help with finding things, help with EVERYTHING!!!

6. When he doesn't understand, he gets angry. Not violent, but just angry and things become my fault.

…20…. I guess I could go on and on.

I love this guy - we have been married 51 years, but this is so hard. Sometimes he realizes it and tries to ask what I want to do, but there is no sense getting excited about doing something because he will be too tired to do it when the time comes.

He feels like he is pretty cognizant. Truth is, not too often. The other day, when I was in the kitchen and he was on the back porch, he called our daughter who lives nearby to ask if I was looking for him. She asked if he was lost - he said no, he could walk back home. We were 20 feet away. Thankfully she checked it out with me.

A couple days later, when going through what was going on in our lives, I told him we had a meeting on Monday (it was Saturday). He thought it was the next day. When I told him, no, we had another day before Monday, he insisted no one ever told him Sunday came before Monday.

I would love to find a support group, but even that seems tough as when I am out of the house he wants to know where I am and what I'm doing. He is insulted if I talk to friends about what I'm going through - he tells me I am taking away his dignity.

A year ago he was diagnosed as Stage 4. I have no idea how long this will go on or what to do while going through this.

What do you do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 27

It does help to have support of people who are in this too.

I have a suggestion on the medication- call local pharmacies and ask the following:

Are you in-network for the insurance and do you package up a persons medications in individual pill packs? My mom gets her medication delivered to her assisted living facility by a local pharmacy in blister packs labeled with the date and time to take it. So three a day: all morning meds, noon med, all evening meds

• [Deleted User]
  • mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I actually put an AirTag (Luggage tracker) on the dog's collar. My DH isn't likely to go anywhere without me except maybe to walk the dog, and he usually doesn't bring his wallet when he walks. He does bring a phone, so that's a help. He is so protective of the dog that I know he will never let him get lost.

Also, I started making pill boxes for my husband too, but I do need to check each time that he has taken them. Again, he won't take anything without checking with me first, so I am able to make sure he has the right day and time.

The dependency on me is definitely what I find the hardest part. If I go out for an hour I can count on a call from him asking for help with something. He is no where near ready to be in a managed care home. I'm thinking this stage is probably one of the hardest for the caregiver.

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Sherry LD
    Sherry LD Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    edited June 27

I found I needed help in a different way. My DH went through the angry stage last fall and I thought I was going crazy. Found an online therapist who has been awesome for listening and supportive when I need it (Betterhelp). Then I found Dr Natalie Edmonds and the Careblazers thanks to Ed). They have online zoom support meetings and Q&A and other professional doctors that are able to answer questions and give advice. This group on this site is also awesome with their collective knowledge and experience. Use any and all resources available! I believe that is the only way any of us can get “through “ this stage in our lives.
    God Bless and know He has your back. 🤗

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which was recommended by a nurse and helped me understand the disease and how to be a better caregiver. My DH is now late Stage 5-6 and in a Memory Care Facility. I had to place him there because of my cancer diagnosis. We completely understand how you feel. This forum will help.

• mathreader

I really like the journaling idea. I will check out Day One! Thank you

• mathreader

Yes, the time it takes to do anything anymore is unbelievable. I will try to remember your advice and remind myself that I'm retired and there is no rush. Thank you

• LynnBonser
    LynnBonser Member Posts: 5
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I also get the feeling being selfish & dealing with a toddler. I don't even know what stage my DH is in as he won't go to the doctor for the tests. (He's in denial.) I guess the upside of that is I don't have to worry about pills.

I'm learning to work on my patience level when he gets angry at me. He tells others I don't feed him. He tells me I don't care about him.

Today he's refusing food & water. He says he'll be dead in two days.

Problem is he's so skinny he just might be. I'm unable to call 911 as he can answer 2 out of the 4 magic questions. I'm not sure he would tell them he wants to die. That all adds up to there's nothing they could do. So why waste their time & aggravate him?

That doesn't mean I won't call them if/when the time comes. I just have to be watchful & wait.

I too pray for his release & to be called home. He's such a prideful man that I can't imagine how this is making him feel. I know he's outwardly in denial, but what does he really know & understand.

Since I'm just now starting to reach out I don't have too many suggestions. I know how much help just calling the 800 number & talking to Sara, Connie, Mia or any of them has been. Every time they've given me reassurance & support. Then we find another step I can take.

Anyway, I feel your pain & frustration. Know you are not alone on this road.

May God hold you & comfort you on this journey.

• mathreader

Tonight he was so upset with me! We are renting a house after living on a boat for over 8 years - great years when things were better and he was well. We were home owners before that for almost 50 years. We rented because I need him not to be responsible for fixing, etc the place we live. Tonight he kept asking me if we owned this house. I told him no, that we were renting. He wanted to know who the owners were and how we got the furniture, etc (we have been here since December). My son helped us move in, brought some furniture and we bought furniture at a store. He was so upset and angry thinking it wasn't our house. Of course he knew we were renting at some point. I refused to argue and he went away and fell asleep. Some days are just better than others. Now, I think he has forgotten the whole discussion.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

LynnBonser: educate yourself about anosognosia. Your husband truly thinks he's fine and cannot perceive his deficits. This is quite different from denial. It also means that you have to learn workarounds to get things done and cannot count on his cooperation, you will have to learn to take the necessary steps even when it is against his will. Hard lessons i know.

• Novice AD Partner-Ca
    Novice AD Partner-Ca Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I like your comment about everything taking so long. I have learned to slow right down and if I'm not too tired, in the right frame of mind - like you - I think "not rushing" is a great way to live! I tell myself, like a mantra, "Just relax, this is NOT going to happen fast!" Because nothing does nowadays :)

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You have found a support group, and this is it.

Like you, my LO believes she doesn't have a problem and would interrogate me about any call I might make that suggests she needs help. This group is almost my only support, because I can consult with people here, and DW isn't aware. I am experiencing almost everything you describe.

What do you do?

Struggle day by day. Gradually learn how to deal with the aberrant behavior. Keep an eye out for the eyeglasses, or rings, or wallet that have a habit of being "stolen" so you can f ind them. ("I can't find my eyeglasses. Someone must have stolen them….) Know that you will fail sometimes and become very frustrated.

Yes, it sucks.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We lived & traveled in an RV for 21 years until my DH's diagnosis in 2021. I immediately went to an attorney, got a DPOA, sold the RV, rented an apartment and moved us in right away. He never questioned where we lived but never really settled in there either. Learn to lie to him. Make up a story. Tell him it's temporary until the boat gets fixed, then change the subject. Arguing won't help. It will only make it worse. You can't reason with someone whose "reasoner" is broken. Redirect. My husband is now in memory care. I miss him so much. I miss us. When I visit him he says he wants to go "home" but he no longer knows where home is or that we no longer have a home. I moved in with my daughter after my cancer diagnosis. I tell him he can go home when the doctor says it's OK. He accepts that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more