Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

waste of time and energy

2»

Comments

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited July 2

Very selfish behavior on their part. The fact that they have repeatedly tried to visit a PWD behind your back is weird. I think you're right, I would respond with one sentence saying they cannot visit her. It covers your butt so they can't claim they didn't know. And then I would make sure all staff on her unit know that your partner has a person who may try to visit and is not allowed. All it would take is for the receptionist to be away using the bathroom for them to ask an aide where her room is and easily slip through. If it were that important for this person to see your partner, say goodbye etc she could have asked you to arrange it via proper channels, explain what she wants etc. If she cared about her friend, she would be supporting her friend's spouse during this difficult time, not pulling this crap. Surely it has come up before in a facility full of vulnerable adults. Ex-spouses being banned etc. I would think they would take it seriously.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm late to the party, but agree they don't deserve a response. I had a wonderful friend who ran a large company she founded who told me once that part of her success was because she finally realized one day that not every demand for an answer required her response. There are people that are simply unreasonable and the only solution was to stop giving them her time.

Sorry you have to deal with this on top of everything else.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

It's not "passive aggressive." It's a situation that requires a firm boundary, which is best for you and your LO's health and protection. You DO know best and your instincts about this are right. You owe them nothing at all.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear M1, you know these people and you know the history. Texting a response one time sounds reasonable. Just as blocking their number afterwards sounds reasonable. You don’t need this. And your partner definitely doesn’t need them visiting. Take care of yourself. Sending hugs.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My two cents. I think you have two good options. Absolutely no contact at all or make it very clear that they will not be allowed to visit under any circumstances. Either way seems like a win for you. Any further attempts might call for a restraining order. I once had to get one for my disabled son when he was constantly bothered by someone, and it was very quick when it got to court. No more problems.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"That's the last person I want to talk to". If a "frenemy" spoke about me like that, in direct disregard of my orders regarding a vulnerable older adult, I would be thinking about a restraining order. This person is up to no good. When my mom was ill with cancer, her friends knew to come to me to ask about her. No one went around my back. At the least, I would reinforce "no contact" with the facility.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney