Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rivastigmine impact on bundle branch blockage

Buggytoo
Buggytoo Member Posts: 72
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yesterday my DH's doctor evaluated three successive EKG's (done in under 18 months) that indicate my husband has developed blockage in the conductivity of the heart in all but one branch. Dr. says it is likely due to rivastigmine. Dr. still believes the usefulness of the drug outweighs the risks. Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge about the issue?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

All of the acetylcholinesterase inhibitors can cause slow heart rate and fainting (syncope) as well as conduction abnormalities. But a lot of other things can cause bundle branch blocks too. The bundle branch block itself is not dangerous if his heart rate was normal. The question would be whether YOU think he's benefited from rivastigmine. If he clearly has, it might be worth continuing. If not, then I'd probably stop it.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I am not sure if I think Rivastigmine is helping. . . My husband has such little mental clarity at this point.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

then I would probably stop it. Maybe not worth any additional risk

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When I first began Exelon patch at the lower dose, 4.6 mg, I experienced two episodes of bradycardia, down to 50 beats/minute. I was concerned, but the bradycardia did not continue. I continued the Exelon patch and increased the dose to 9.5 mg, and I never had any more bradycardia.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney