Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Intelgenx shows cognitive improvement

In April I posted here about the Emory University montelukast Alzheimer's trial. The trial results showed that one group of participants showed cognitive improvement. However the results were suspect because the group showing improvement was the placebo group. The group supposedly treated with montelukast continued to decline. This suggests that the montelukast and placebo medications were switched, at least in part, between the two groups.

My April post suggested there was a connection between the Emory trial principle investigator Dr Hajjar and Biogen, spelling out the circumstantial evidence. I notified the FDA Office of Scientific Investigations in January and they emailed me back that they are considering an investigation into the Emory trial. For details, check www.montelukast-repurposed.org.

I have more information on the Intelgenx Medical Technologies montelukast Alzheimer's trial in Canada. A preliminary report shows participants who took the highest dosage of 30 mg twice a day showed significant cognitive improvement. The final report of results will be completed this quarter (July, August, or September).
Another much larger trial will need to be conducted to determine  effectiveness and dosage. That means that it will take another two years for approval. Intelgenx also has to come up with more money to pay for a larger trial.

The Emory trial, in my opinion, was tampered with, which means no US physicians are going to prescribe montelukast, an asthma drug, off label for Alzheimer's. The only way I see to get montelukast is to buy it in another country where montelukast does not require a prescription. I have been buying it here in Ghana, where I live, for the past 8 years and it has effectively treated my extreme mental fatigue.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intelgenx-reports-preliminary-data-phase-103250098.html

Tagged:

Comments

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 181
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Thank you for the update. I have been following your information on Montelukast. Big pharm are not interested unless there is money for them.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks for posting Larry. This news about the results of the montelukast study is disturbing.

Right now I am working on treating sleep apnea with CPAP.

Iris

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I take Montelukast for my asthma - 10mg a day. Time will tell.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

That Emory situation sure sounds shady. I hope they get to the bottom of this and throw the book at anyone who tampered with the process or results.

As soon as I heard this med might help with mental clarity a light bulb went on. I definitely believe Montelukast (Singular) may be effective in this regard. It seems to me that may be why DH was able to function well above his Stage, and also fly under the radar initially for so long. Like many things we deal with here, there is the double-edged sword factor. I would love to have had more of a heads up that something was amiss, before he fell off the cliff so to speak. From MCI to Stage 7 in just 6 years is a bit fast for late onset Alzheimer's I think. But he was able to function at a higher level for longer, in part due to the Montelukast I believe. Also 10mg, and for asthma. I can't prove it, but firmly believe it.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    edited July 8

My experience is that montelukast is not effective at 10 mg once a day for what I was experiencing, which is extreme mental fatigue. I guess it is similar to what people call brain fog. It was like how I would feel if I could never get enough sleep even though I was sleeping enough. I was always mentally exhausted. I started taking 10 mg twice a day eight years ago and the mental fatigue went away within a week and I was feeling completely normal again. I have been taking 10 mg three times a day for about the last four years. I can't prove it but I believe that if I had not started taking this drug when I did, I would have gone down the same path as my mother who passed away from Alzheimer's.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Larrytherunner, thank you for posting this. Very interesting that you and BFW’s husband had some positive results, or at least possible results related to this medication. Wouldn’t it be nice if off label use of some drugs could help reverse Alzheimer’s to at least some extent?

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Thank you for the update. Please bring our attention to further findings in the Canadian study.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Iris, I don't know anything about sleep apnea, but I do know that when I started taking montelukast twice a day eight years ago, I started having REM sleep again. In my 60's, I stopped having dreams but they came back, and I have slept much more soundly since.

• Iris L.

Larry, I will have an appointment with the sleep doctor today, and I will ask about montelukast.

Iris

• DMJohnson
    DMJohnson Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

Iris - what did the sleep apnea Dr say about the montelukast? my DH has been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea has a Cpap - has helped but, not with his brain fog and fatigue. Diagnoised with MCI/ 2yrs now. early onset of Alz.

Larrytherunner - thank you for your input on montelukast - will keep following this post for updates.

• Iris L.

I didn't get a chance to ask about montelukast. The sleep doctor wanted to start me on gabapentin. I was not happy with this.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney