Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory

Mimi of 8
Mimi of 8 Member Posts: 3
First Comment
My DH has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Is it normal (usual may be a better term) for him to remember some things better than I do yet not remember other things?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Mimi—

This is to be expected.

In general, memory in dementia is Last In First Out (LIFO). Early on, you'll she more short-term memory loss— forgetting being told about plans or what they had for breakfast. Later, more and more of a time span will be impacted which could mean forgetting who more recent family members (grandkids and in-laws) are or seemingly living in the past when long dead relatives were still alive. You may even notice conflated memories where a PWD recalls the gist of an event but loses the details of the who-what-when-where and back-fills the story with things that aren't true.

In the middle stages of the disease a PWD may sometimes recall an event or information that carried a strong emotional content, but this might not be consistent. Dad was diagnosed well into the middle stages of the disease and could recall the neurologist telling him he had Alzheimer's and could no longer drive. He was angry about this and didn't agree. He was able to recall this until weeks before he died. But he was hazy on whether my sister (his mini-me and favorite) was alive, sick or dead. She'd passed 25 years before and he could certainly recall other people and events from that point in time, so it struck me that the ban on driving stuck while her death didn't.

HB

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

it’s normal and confusing. Some days my DH Seems more on his game, while others he appears more confused. His short term memory is affected and at the same time, I’m amazed at what he doesn’t remember in the past. It’s a strange trip we are on.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree. My DH short term memory is poor to non-existent. His long term memory was amazing, far better than mine. But that is starting to go too. And of course there are good and bad days.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more