Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this sundowning

ronda b
ronda b Member Posts: 73
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My Dh has been increasingly waking up after a couple hours sleep getting dressed and going outside. He doesn't go anywhere just thinks it's really early in the morning. Last night I got to him before he went out.

Should I think about getting a alarm or lock? To be honest I don't know what I'm suppose to be doing.

Don't want to all of his independence but I do see him making bad choices and remembering less.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Ronda - I know it's hard to take away our loved one's independence, but safety has to come first. When wandering became an issue (my husband went out the front door while I was making dinner and fell off the neighbor's porch) I put alarms on all exterior doors. I've also put a child safety lock on the bedroom door so he can't leave the room at night without it waking me. Confusion and poor executive function make it dangerous for people with dementia to be unsupervised as they progress. I hate to say it but poor memory is the least of our problems.

• Maggie M
    Maggie M Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

ronda b, of course you don't know what you are supposed to be doing. There is no manual for this cruel disease. My DH constantly says he's" going home." He goes out of the house ,walks around our car. Most of the time comes right back in, when he realizes he doesn't have keys to the car. He has walked up the street a few times. I watch him from the window and then I go get him. My son put alarms on the doors ( got through Amazon- very cheap) . They have two sounds, one like a door bell and the other is very loud. I use that at night time. I have them on the outside doors, breezeway doors, basement door and just had one put on our bedroom door. It really helps. I am not sure I would call that sundowning. But everyone is different. I hope this helps you. We are all on a journey we didn't ask for.

• 13Nuget
    13Nuget Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment

My DH is getting up at 3 AM and going out our front door. Which door alarms did you get? He is still with it enough that the mat on the floor won't work. Thx

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    edited September 1

I bought a little door jam wedge alarm when we went on our Alaskan Cruise. It was rather inconspicuous, especially in the dark. I’d read somewhere, that folks with dementia do not tend to look up high or down low. The alarm did go off three times during our trip, as he awoke before I did, and I was soundly sleeping thanks to the alarm. Here is a link to the $7 one I bought.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more