Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tasty shake

Hi! I am new to this group. Name is Pam (obviously).

So my mom is not eating or drinking enough.... am looking g for calorie-dense protein shake that tastes good. Any ideas?
Thank you in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,071
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited July 25

you can use one of the varieties of Boost drink and add ice cream to it.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I just finished chemo and found I like the taste of the Premier high protein shakes the best. Chocolate is the one I drank 2x a day. My husband is in Memory Care. Before that I would give him Splenda shakes. He's a diabetic & they have no added sugar and high protein.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 343
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I give my LO chocolate Soylent protein shakes. I even drink one when I don't feel like eating. It's high in protein and tastes good.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 836
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Fairlife Protein Shakes - 30 gm protein and taste great. Come in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. You can get them at Costco online or in store.

You could also make a milkshake with ice cream and milk and add a scoop or two of a protein powder. That'd be lots of calories, plus protein and would taste good.

• tucson anne
    tucson anne Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

You may laugh at this but when I mentioned to my husband's cardiologist that I didn't want to feed him fake food like Boost, he said give him ice cream, three times a day if he wants it! No cholesterol or blood sugar issues though….

• howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 17
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

When I mentioned to my wife's doctor that I was struggling to find foods she would eat, he had similar answer. I have talked to others whose doctor understood that we fight so hard to just get calories in our loved one that let them eat what they will becomes the answer. I will continue to try to find creative ways to get her to eat better foods but I won't let her go hungry or not get some nutrition, if it is only ice cream. I applaud those doctors who seem to better understand that getting through the day is a challenge likely beyond any they have ever experienced, so following sound nutritional guidelines is not possible. Keeping her alive to be with me for another day is my challenge so if it is Ice cream that allows that, so be it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more