Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)

allit
allit Member Posts: 80
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I’ve recently discovered that some patients with dementia may be treated with ECT in the hopes that it will improve symptoms of depression.
Does anyone have experience with this that you can share?

Here’s just one article I found about it

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10960885/

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This was a chart review, not a controlled study. It remains a treatment of last resort i think and I suspect you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone to try it. One of its side effects is memory loss and confusion.

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I had about 6 times of ECT for depression. All it did was lose my memory 3 days before ECT to 3 days after. I wake up confused and disoriented. I was still depressed after that. I was volunteering to get the ECT and was able to stop it by my own decision.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 7

Electroconvulsive… so basically sending electrical charge into a brain to cause a seizure? Having had a son with epilepsy, I don’t see anything good about that sort of treatment. Our son would return to consciousness after a seizure confused, nauseous, with a severe headache and loss of memory. His suspected cause of death is from a seizure(Although that’s not what is on his death certificate). How could any of that possibly help someone with dementia? In fact, a possible side effect of uncontrolled seizures is cognitive decline.

That makes no more sense to me than the recently approved medications to treat dementia that have side effects of brain swelling and brain bleeds. Both of which are known causes of cognitive issues.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Also agree that I don't see any reason to do this.

@mpang123 Thank you for being so candid, and with such an honest perspective on this.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

ECT can be very effective for some people, even when multiple medications have failed. I can understand, certainly, finding the idea unattractive, but I've seen people come out of ECT like someone turned on the light after months or years of darkness. Even with dementia, it makes sense to do what we can to improve quality of life.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more