Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

To the ER or not?

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 666
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW has an abscess just outside of her private part, I know I can just say it but the contract doctor says that if antibiotics don't work in a couple of days she needs to go to the ER. God I hope not. Waiting hours in the ER with an advanced Alzheimer's wife in full incontinence and hysterics is not something I want to do.

Should I insist they try antibiotics longer than two days and deny ER visits? Maybe time for a hospice eval and let this thing heal on its own or run it's course?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh what a tough one. The general treatment for abscesses is surgical, they usually have to be drained. It may drain spontaneously—that would be ideal.

Honestly I would opt for hospice and conservative treatment, though realizing that this is serious enough to be an end of life event, it could definitely take her life if she becomes septic. Does she seem to be in a lot of discomfort, or not? If she's not in a lot of pain, I would keep her at MC. I'm so sorry, that's a really tough call.

• ghphotog

M1, I have a hospice evaluation in the works.

• ghphotog

She seems to only be in pain when they have to wipe her.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

oh my! These are the tough decisions I dread . So sorry to hear this . I hope the hospice evaluation gives you some direction . Note to M1: Thank you for always giving great straight forward guidance.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you, M1, for always being straightforward and kind. Many, many thanks.

• M1

Least i can do. Gotta be uncomfortable, it's going to be very difficult to heal regardless because of the incontinence. I'd have a very low threshold to give her morphine and keep her comfortable. such things that would be easily treatable in anyone else are life threatening here. Perhaps it helps to look at it as almost inevitable in this setting: something is going to take her, and here it is. Treating it aggressively does what? Prolongs her agony? Im so sorry.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This sounds like a Bartholin's gland cyst that got infected. It can be treated with sitz baths, possibly oral antibiotics. You might ask a gyn doctor or wound care nurse about a topical ointment to apply for pain management.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Not all Hospices are created equal.. Finger crossed for your mothers current treatment. Please keep us updated.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

ghphotog, that is good news. May help her be more comfortable . It sounds like the hospice evaluation gave you some comfort

• M1

That's great. Better to call to early than too late and this is proof why…..

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

That is very good news!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia