Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mom in and out of delirium in hospital

melmatho
melmatho Member Posts: 3
First Comment
I'm feeling very lost and confused on how best to help my mom, who lived independently and has recently had two falls that she doesn't remember. (Early in the morning, either disoriented or sleepwalking.) The latest resulted in her fracturing her pelvis.

At first, we did our best to care for her at home with home health starting to come, but her pain was getting worse not better. She could barely stand up on her own and we were scared she'd fall again. Our house has stairs, so she couldn't stay with us and it is very hard to be with her 24/7 at her house.

With a goal of getting her into a great inpatient rehab where her outcome might be better than the minimal PT support she was getting at home, and to explore where her pain was coming from, we took her to the ER and she got another catscan. They found another fracture in her pelvis that explained the pain on that side. We asked them to help her with her pain and she has been there for three nights waiting to be transferred to the Rehab.

Each day has been worse - she is confused, having delirium and thinking she's in a weird building all alone, although she's being well taken care of in a private room and we are visiting daily.

She is very angry, at us for "pushing her into this place" and is saying horrible things. Deep down, we know it's what's best for her, but I feel awful and wish there was a better way.

I'm scared that when she gets into rehab, she's going to have the same problem there. We can't visit her as much there either.

I'm at a loss - I've never seen her so angry and upset.

Comments

• Daisie
    Daisie Member Posts: 84
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I can empathize. While my mom didn't sustain an injury or fracture, she's in the hospital experiencing delirium as well due to MD and waiting to be transferred to MC. I don't have any words of wisdom or advice except I can understand what you're going through and the emotional pain it causes.

I hope you can find moments of rest and peace. When you can, take them!

• melmatho
    First Comment

Thank you - it’s the worst feeling in the world isn’t it? 🙁

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hope she does okay. Pelvic fractures are so difficult because there's no treatment other than time, and mobility and confidence are so badly affected. I worry that with her mental state she may not be able to cooperate with rehab or know when to ask for help. Let us know how it goes.

• melmatho
    First Comment

Turns out it's just sundowning on steroids… She's completely fine today. Here's hope!

• mrsabaldwin
    mrsabaldwin Member Posts: 43
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My mom has done that every time she has been in the hospital. And looking back years before her her diagnosis this year, I can pinpoint times she did this and it was a sign that we all overlooked. I believe my mom knew. She started abusing Benadryl almost 20 years ago. I think at first it was to hide or excuse the side effects she had from a massive stroke coupled with moving close to siblings that not only had she not lived around for decades but also made her feel “less than” because of the stroke and how it affected her life. And at her last neurologist appointment in the midst of saying I wa she’s sister rather than her daughter amongst other things from the past that she believed were present day, when the doc and I brought up Benadryl use and abuse she fully admitted that she used it to hide symptoms. Mom has had wild delirium in hospital. Just over the top.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more