Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

eating too much

Maru
Maru Member Posts: 56
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

DH in ES ALZ, has lately started eating everything put in front of him. Six months ago, if I served him a large steak, he would eat his fill then save the rest of it. Lately, he eats the whole thing in addition to sides. Yesterday, I made chicken salad, enough for 3-4 lunches. He ate the whole thing for lunch, in addition to his usual large handful of carrots, a large fruit helping and endless pretzels. He is not obese, just 15 lbs overweight. Is this poor judgement? Is his brain not telling him when he is full? Is this even an ALZ thing?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

it can be both a disease feature, and certain drugs can also increase appetite. But yes I think they lose the feedback loop and can’t sense satiety. I think this is even more difficult to handle than loss of appetite, because you have to control their access to food.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My wife is like that. I would give her the same amount, or a bit more than I gave myself, and she lost weight. In memory care she eats more than the other residents, and she gained her weight back. I think you just need to control how much he eats so that he maintains the weight he has now. That includes placing food stuff where he won't see it. Childproof locks on cabinets and the refrigerator will help.

• Silverplatter
    Silverplatter Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    My husband has developed a sweet tooth. He will eat pie and brownies and ice cream every night if I let him.
  • midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Seroquel can cause weight gain. My wife was started on seroquel in february and has gained 10-15 pounds which is not all bad because she was down to 105 pounds when the seroquel was started.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

hi silverplatter. A lot of dementia folks crave sweets, your DH is not alone.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, I have read that this is typical. My DH definitely went through a period of craving sweets, now less so. Still, I need to hide cookies to keep them in the house. I put out fruit, but then he leaves cores and pits around the house, or worse, puts them down drains. Just needs lots of supervising.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more