Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parent with Early Onset Alzheimer's

tcc413
tcc413 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited August 16 in Caring for a Parent
Hi, I'm looking for a support group specifically for adult children of parents with early onset alzheimers. My mother is in her mid-60s and was diagnosed a couple years ago. As she is beginning to decline more and more I want to connect with others in a similar set of circumstances. Most people I speak with are dealing with elderly people. I have two young children and am also supporting my father as he supports my mother. I'm also definitely grieving not having my mom around to help with my young kids the way I'd hoped for. Anyone else in somewhat similar circumstances? Any recommendations of a support group? I'm in Massachussets but would be happy for something online. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. Hopefully you can find what you’re looking for, but FWIW this forum is by far the best support I’ve found, even though it’s not specific. Hope it can provide at least part of the help you need.

• kblau
    kblau Member Posts: 55
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    edited August 16

hi there! In a similar situation. My mom is 72 with ALZ. My father passed away at 65 from 9/11 related cancer. I’m married with a 4 year old :-) so yeah I wasn’t expecting this at this point in my life. You’re not alone here! Also grieving the loss of my mom while becoming a mom myself, dealing with the frustration of no one to ‘help’ me out and sad for my daughter.

Editing to add: I also have found this site to be the best support out there. Everyone has been extremely helpful.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi, my mom is elderly, but because I became a parent at a much older than average age, I also have a minor child. I also had my MIL move in with me for care (not dementia) when my child was an infant. So I get the sandwich generation situation all too well. I also empathize with the sadness for my child not having a grandparent who can do special things with him or share her parenting experience with me. I've had to get my support and advice elsewhere. I agree that this forum has been the best guidance for dementia caregiving. But there may be support groups in your area - call the hotline and see if they can help direct you.

• kmama39
    kmama39 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi there! I am in a very similar situation and would love to connect. I'm a 39 year old mom of two, and my mother has early onset dementia. She has had it for years but is quickly declining. My dad told me today that she doesn't really know who I am anymore. She still lives at home with my dad as her caretaker, but he can't do it much longer. I'm happy to send you my contact info if you ever want to chat 🩷
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm not in your situation, but do want to make sure to mention this. With dementia people often have personality changes. They don't mean to, but sometimes they can target a child and say very harmful things, especially if they have moved into the family's home. Please don't let the fact that she is your mother blind you to her behavior, and make sure to protect your children if that does become an issue. Your own children need to remain your priority even as you try to help your parents in this difficult situation.

• Ang799
    Ang799 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi I'm also in Mass and struggling my mother is 68 and diagnosed last year would love to chat
  • silentzia
    silentzia Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi, I am in NJ, my mom-72yo who lives in a different country was recently diagnosed with vascular dementia - moderate stage-. My dad is the main caregiver right now, but I struggle with accepting the diagnosis, while parenting a 12 yo.I guess I am still processing the news. I noticed some memory deficits but couldnt imagine although my mom's brother passed in February from parkinson with dementia. I would love to connect with others who have a parent with this terrible illness.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more