Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm new here and I need help

Hi y'all! I'm having so much difficulty dealing with my husband's dementia symptoms. He's angry all the time! He apparently thinks that if I'm sick a day or two that I'm abusing him. Or if I don't necessarily like doing what he asked me to do, I'm abusing him! Or my latest favorite, because I didn't answer his 16 texts between 1:30&3:30am, I must have a man in my bed! He even said that he peeked in the room and the guy must have been hiding in the shower! I'm like, you must be joking right? I'm not 16yo anymore. This is ridiculous! I was passed out after having insomnia for two days! I'm so tired.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

He doesn’t know he has dementia and his brain is broken. To him, his reality is truth. It becomes a game of sorts, figuring out how to de escalate without irritation on your part. So we learn to meet them where they are at. If you can, remove the phone at night. I apologize often saying I must have forgotten, or it was my mistake. If he’s not on any medications, you should contact his doctor. Others on this site are great with advice and information for meds. Also, there is a place on this site for new members with a ton of good information.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Some PWD will not recognize their own reflection in a mirror and believe the reflection is a live stranger in the house. I suggest that you cover up mirrors and anything reflective.

Iris

• ghostkasper
    ghostkasper Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment

My DW, late stage 6, was angry a lot. We started giving her a marijuana gummy three times a day. 10 mg. Now she is mellow and nice to be with all day. We live in a state where we can go to a dispensary and get what we need. If it is legal in your state, give it a try. Our physician approves. Wishing you the best.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 20

The paranoia and agitation are, unfortunately, part of the disease. Below is a link to the new caregivers group where we save useful information. I also recommend learning all you can about dementia (the 36 hour day is a great book for that). Have you discussed medications with his doctor? The right meds made a world of difference with my husband. Take care.

https://alzconnected.org/group/32-new-caregiver-help

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney