Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Aggression, Anger and Agitation

We are experiencing something new with my mom who is in a memory care unit. She is having particularly bad sundowning episodes. About 3:30pm each day she becomes very angry, and aggressive. She starts fighting with and yelling at staff. Yesterday she actually struck one of the nurses. The nurse usually calls me to ask that I talk to my mom and hopefully settle her down a little but that is working less and less. I am a a loss as to what to do. My biggest fear is that she will be kicked out of the memory care unit. She is already on anxiety meds. I have asked the Phych nurse to see if they can be adjusted. Do you have any advise on how to navigate this phase. How long does this phase typically last. Mom does not understand where she is, why she is there or that she lives there and that is what she gets angry about each night.

Tagged:

Comments

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This information should be shared with PCP or psychiatrist. She may need an additional medication in the evening.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

her meds need to be changed. Without proper meds it could last a long time. But everyone is different.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You may want to consult a geriatric psychiatrist. They are experts in the kind of meds needed to handle agitation and aggression. My DH, currently In a geriatric psych unit for aggression /agitation, takes one dose of his meds at 3 pm to help with the sundowning. Best of luck with this, it’s good that you’re getting right on it.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,397
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

She may need an anti-psychotic in addition to the anti-anxiety meds. I’m not sure why the nurse thinks that you can settle her with a phone call when they can’t do it in oerson.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited August 22

All good comments and, ….assuming UTI has been ruled out?

• Marie C.
    Marie C. Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank you for the feedback. I have a meeting the a geriatric psych nurse tomorrow to adjust meds. She also is currently being treated for a UTI which I am sure is contributing to some of this behavior. This is so incredibly hard. Thank you again

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Make sure the UTI is responding to the chosen antibiotic. Was a culture snd sensitivity done? She will need a different antibiotic if the UTI is not clearing.

Iris

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I wouldn't change any meds until the UTI is cleared. It may be unnecessary. The UTI is the likely cause for the change in behavior and once clear for a few weeks, then meds can be re-evaluated. That may be harder to manage in a memory care.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more