Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My watch over dad has ended and it feels so empty

My dad took his last breath in this life just yesterday. He was 89 years old. He and mom, who has dementia and is in memory care, were married 65 years. I moved both to an ALF about four months ago. I think my timing turned out to be just about right.

I thought the world would look different without my dad in it, but it is just humming along like always. People are going about their lives just like they did the day before.

I am partly numb and partly overcome with waves of grief. I guess that is normal. I know I am going to process this for the rest of my life.

What immediately is most noticeable is how much my thoughts were occupied by him and my mom. Even if I was not physically doing something for them, I would be out doing something else and notice an item they could use, or some thought would pop in my head about a solution to whatever they were currently struggling with. They never directly asked me for anything though. It was just sort of always on the back burner in my mind.

These last 24 hours it catches me by surprise at how routine it had become because I still have these thoughts, then realize it is no longer needed. It feels empty and quiet. It is not a relief, like I thought it might be. It is just nothing.

My mom is now a widow. She has awareness of the loss, but keeps asking if it was some longtime friends of theirs who died. It was heartbreaking to see her sitting alone at the cafeteria today and I know exactly what she has lost. We do not even have the comfort of shared grief.

I was increasingly more active with caregiving for them in the last year, as I was seeing the wheels fall off and my concerns for their wellbeing increased. Even after they moved to the ALF, there seemed to still be issues popping up non-stop as they acclimated. It was sort of like spinning a wheel tighter and tighter until it just falls off and stops.

I did not realize how much of my life was occupied by them, even if just in my mind, until just today. Now, I do not know what to do with that space.

Has anyone felt similar? Is this normal?

Tagged:

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@TrumpetSwan

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear dad.

I think what you described, so eloquently, is familiar to many. I don't think we realize how much scaffolding we do even when a LO is in a facility.

After dad died, I felt on edge as if there was something I was meant to be doing for a long time. I also found my mom needed more attention as a widow than she did as a caregiver, so the weight of my mental load didn't change much from when they were two.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I too am sorry for your loss. My dad was my supportive parent and for months after he died I’d want to pick up the phone and call him. What you’re feeling is totally normal.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for your loss. My Dad passed from VD several years ago. It takes a while to process everything and adjust. Now when I think of my Dad, which is often, I remember him happy and smiling. Hang in there. Hugs

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry for your loss. I know you are a blessing to your folks.

Yes, what you are experiencing is normal, and the grief will ebb and flow. Eventually - you will feel better, even through some moments of special memories months and years later. Meanwhile, do be kind to yourself.

We hadn't realized how much my dad was scaffolding mom until we lost him. As your folks, it was just weeks from their 65th anniversary.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 787
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Father. Peace be with you.

Jeri Lynn

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing you thoughts and feelings with us here. Anyone who followed your journey knows what ups and downs you experienced. Peace to you and your family.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm sorry about your dad, @TrumpetSwan .

We provide a lot of scaffolding for our loved ones with dementia. I also experienced what you just described - my sister was always in the back of my mind, no matter what I was doing. Those thoughts take up a lot of space. It took me awhile after she passed away to remind myself that I could let all of that go. It may take a little while "to fill up that space." And that's okay. So yeah, I think this is normal.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss.

• TrumpetSwan
    TrumpetSwan Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you everyone. It helps to know what I am feeling is just part of the journey. Blessings to all here.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

My thoughts are with you and your mother.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry for your loss. My husband passed August 12. I know what you’re feeling. Yes it’s normal. Allow yourself time to grieve. I also understand about not being able to be comforted for your shared grief. My sister also has Dementia and I wish I could talk to her about my husband passing. Hugs.

• forbarbara
    forbarbara Member Posts: 163
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Your description of the world just humming along is exactly right. Grief is grief no matter how we lose our loved ones. And I think once the weight of caregiving is lifted, it takes a long time to get used to the lightness. Wishing you sweet memories, peace and strength as you help your mother on her journey.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 73
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

So sorry for your loss. So hard weather it's expected or not. When I lost mine it was 3 months apart. Still remember how much emptiness there was and time. One day at a time.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@TrumpetSwan My sincere condolences on your dad’s passing. He is finally at peace. May you be, as well.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I'm very sorry for your loss. You are so right - the mental space that caregiving takes up, no matter where your LO lives, is immense. I had no idea how much it took until after mom died and the dust had settled. It was a huge void (and later, a huge opportunity to be able to fill it with new things.) I still have my father living, and in his mid 80s is now taking much of that mental load even without dementia. The years of elder care are so demanding. It will take time to adjust, and you are right that we process it the rest of our life. It will forever shape you.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

I am so sorry for your loss. I think it is totally normal. It will take you a while to get your bearings. This is different than other types of losses because of the incredible mental stress of caregiving. May you have some time to grieve your dad, and some easier days.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 519
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. I think what you describe is spot on. Your days won't be easier but rather just very different. You will find a new path, but this all takes time. Your stress level has been on overdrive for quite awhile, it will be a bit but you have to be kind to yourself.

We are here to help you along this journey.

eagle

• TrumpetSwan
    TrumpetSwan Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thanks again to everyone. I will give myself time and space. I got back to work this week, which gave me some familiar routine.

I have visited my mother, now in memory care, every day. I just wanted to know she was adjusting, and it seems that slowly she is. She has days where she is very clear that dad died, then others where she asks what happened to him. It is hard to have to deal with her distress on top of everything else.

I am likely going to back off seeing mom for a bit and refocus on myself and just take it one day at a time. Thanks.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more