Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, we only got a shower yesterday ,- not enough to settle the dust but there is a little hope for this morning. Went out to get two calves back in the pasture and walked Into some water. Won.deter why it rained more in that area. There is another water leak where the water line branches into the house and barn. Jeremy can't get to it until tomorrow. Pressure is okay.

Billy is west of the house grazing. He is beautiful, as big as his daddy now and pretty fat.He is still mine, only bovine I have now. When.I talk to him he tilts his head to the side. Only has vision in one eye.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

HB hope you get rain too. Its a gray misty day here. Giving rain again tomorrow. Will be nice if we get some. Some of the things with your mom sound familiar.

Beth you guys are getting it done

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

here…..

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Computers suck, I have been using my code for years and all of a sudden and about 2 weeks ago I couldn't get in so I changed my code and I stil Couldn't get in. I tried 2 more times still nothing. So I called the number that I found. I followed (as least I thought so) the directions the lady on the phone told me to do. While on the phone the code worked but after she hung up I tried again to log in and the code didn't work. After I calm down I will try again.

• David1946

Winter feels like it's here i started wearing my winter pants and sweaters today it's only in the 60degrees today.

• Lorita

Norman, South of OKC, had five inches of rain. Guess we missed it this time. What's with the pop up about cookies that keeps coming up today?

• Mint

lorita we must have been messaging at same time. Glad you got a little water too. Others are noticing the obnoxious popup too. It is out if control lol.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited September 23

"Quarterback" on Netflix features Mahomes, Marcus Mariota (former Atlanta QB) and Kirk Cousins (former Vikings QB and current Atlanta QB.

It's a good watch. Highly recommend it!

• jfkoc

OK…I am going on record to say that there are trolls who live in the computer cloud and their job is to make just enough changes to make us angry as ————-.At 10a everything is as usual…..at 11a a password no longer works or the page format has changed or etc.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good morning all!

Iris

• Iris L.

A sad story coming up. Skip over if you are sensitive.

I have a cousin with advanced AD who was hospitalized for decubiti (bedsores) on his heels. The hospital attempted an IV due to dehydration, now the arm with the IV is infected and blistered. He has been transferred to a rehab hospital for wound care. He has very limited responsiveness, and had been hand-fed by relatives at home. At the hospital, the nurse fed him Ensure via a syringe. I was called for my input.

My impression was that he was beginning the dying process. I don't think he has a DNR. The care at his home was inadequate, IMO, since he got the decubiti. IMO, he should have been on hospice long ago. I don't know if he has MRSA. The family wants to give him every chance for recovery. I told them to be prepared. He is not going to get better. I feel bad for him, now being at a facility where he will be manipulated a lot with no good outcome.

This sad story makes me think more about what I want for myself. I want good care, appropriate to my current condition, but no heroic measures if I am moribund.

Iris

• Mint

This is very sad Iris. Sounds like family for some reason lacks understanding of prognosis or are in denial. If you don't have a medical background could make decision much harder. No knowledge to draw from unless someone they trust takes time to explain things well.

On May 2023 I told them if I got to the point I needed intubated to let me go. I was very aware of what I was doing . Due to circumstances they then approached my sister about changing my code status. I imagine they feared someone might question if i was capable of making that decision. My sister told them Mint worked acute care for many years, her and I have had this discuccion many times so I will leave her code status as she requested. This was much easier on her because she knew my feelings.

• Iris L.

Mint, I'll have to respectfully disagree to a point. I don't recall all the particulars of your acute illness, but you had a chance of recovery, as you have obviously done. Needing intubation is not a death sentence. On the other hand, my elderly cousin, who is in his 90's with advanced AD, seems already to be shutting down, from what I can gather from what I've been told. Now this is complicated by decubiti, due to poor tissues and poor care, and subsequent spreading of skin infection. He is not going to come out of this. My family has different ideas from me, from what I have learned from the members here. I had another elderly cousin with advanced AD who was kept alive via a feeding tube. She was taken to the hospital on the coldest night of the year by ambulance because she had a turn for the worse. She died about four hours after the transport. AD is terminal, the patients are not going to come out of it.

I think I am unhappy because the family seem to want me to agree that they are doing the right thing, when I don't agree. But he is their brother, not mine.

Iris

• Mint
    edited September 24

Good morning

we are getting a good rain. Im very thankful for that.

I do understand Iris that your cousin is chronic and i was definitely acute. Acute vs chronic is definitely two different beasts. Agree with how you see it in general. That is what i would have told my patient. Sepsis is a sneaky thing though. Some acute things can have very bad outcomes and sepsis is one of them. A NP told me that more people die from sepsis each year than either heart disease or cancer alone. The sadder part to me is that many survive but are never the same. That was what they prepared my family for once they saw I wasn't going to die. My sister quit her volunteer job thinking she would have to take care of me and that i was going to be in hospital a month and then rehab for a month and then go home not like i was before. No one caring for me expected the recovery that I had. A guy I volunteered with told me about his brother having sepsis and it was the exact scenario they had prepared my sisters for. His brother was not right mentally. I was at peace with my decision for me. Im very sorry you and your family are having to go through this.

• Iris L.

Mint, I'm so glad you made a remarkable recovery! My friend's sister died within a few hours of being admitted to the hospital.

I'm sitting the waiting room of the lab, waiting to be called for my blood tests. I am a walk-in. I have an appointment for Friday afternoon, but I wanted to come earlier.

Lorita, my neighbor and I sent the big spider in our yard bye-bye. The spider was climbing down a long web on the walkway, right in front of my face! It was a miracle that I saw her in time! Why didn't she stay in the trees and bushes?

Iris

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Iris, so sad to read about your cousin's condition and what he is going through. I pray things work out for him. It must be difficult to not be able to do anything since his siblings are making the decisions. How old is he?

Mint, I'm glad to hear you survived your health scare. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Hi to all xo

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 793
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning. I’ve been up since 2:30 am.
    We’ve had quite the morning. The picture below is DH’s Granddaughter who’s staying with us for a bit. Her beautiful dogs are Hercules (fluffy one) and Dobby the German Shepherd. Hercules saw a rabbit on the other side of the fence, broke the pet link at the bottom that holds the fence in place, went under and back in with his prized catch, then went back out later heading for the road! The fence is now somewhat temporarily restored 😳😏 Poor Granddaughter was beside herself.

After everyone settled down and got out of my kitchen I started cooking. We have cubed steak with gravy, smashed potatoes with parmigiana, Mac n cheese, Italian green beans, garlic rolls and banana pudding for supper ready to go.

Storms coming tomorrow or the next day depending on the new hurricane in the Gulf, so DH is on the tractor doing something he wants done before the rain 😏🤣

I think I might take a nap with these dogs.

Needless to say there’s patio work waiting after everyone goes home 🤣🥳

• jfkoc

HERE…JUMPED RIGHT ONTO DOING EXCELL AND FORGOT TO POST. mY BRAIN IS NOW FRIED!

• Lorita

Plumbers are here. First one for a couple of hours and then another one. The driveway alarm has been going off so with that and the plumbers Stormy and I are worn out. First one came about 10:30 and they just left - 2:30. Hard time finding the leak, then some water worked and some didn't. They found a wasp nest and you should have seen them run! I hope I don't have another leak - plumbers are expensive.

Iris, so sorry about what you and your family are going through. Hope it can be worked out the best way. Back later

• Lorita

We:re getting a little rain. I think there is more to come around MN. I noticed today at least one Anthea has some leaves and also some on a. Crepe myrtle. I have a pretty spring blooming rose over the gate arch and it haś a few leaves on it so maybe some things will live.. Good night, sleep tight.

• Iris L.

CaroLynne, I believe my cousin is 90 or 91 years of age.

I had a three hour nap today, after my phlebotomy. When I awoke, I had a lot of energy. It's from the nap or my new medication for heart failure.

Iris

• Mint
    edited September 25

Good morning

Judith my brain feels fried a lot of days.

Lorita hope they find all those leaks and you get your house back soon. Plumbers can definitely be expensive, I know.

Iris hope you continue to feel better. The things they can do to help those with heart failure has so greatly improved over the years. Happy for you. We got 1.6 inches of rain yesterday, thankful for the rain.

I’ll be caring for mom alone for a few days. My Dear Uncle died Monday morning. He was 89. My sisters are all leaving this morning to go to Tennessee. My sister told me I could go but I told her I saw everyone including my uncle last August so thought she should go. I will miss him, my world gets smaller,no more calls on my birthday and him singing happy birthday and no more bear hugs. We always lived states apart but he was always there. My cousin who lives in Tampa is picking up my aunt in Atlanta. They are going to Atlanta today and will drive to Tennessee tomorrow Good Lords will. Weather is an issue there soon. Our family has asked them to not take risks. From what i can tell timing may work out. Hope it dies, my aunt is 85 and she is pretty much on her own. She has pretty much already lost my mom. She is thinking about moving to Tampa area where my cousin is but I hope she doesnt wait too long about making that decision. I know there are complicating circumstances.

Ron Belated Happy Birthday🎂! I got involved in things yesterday and forgot, Im sorry. Hope you had a nice day with family.

I hope to get to grocery store today. J needs her avocados😊

Take care

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Mint, so sorry about the loss of your dear uncle. That is generous of you to care for your mom and allow your sisters to attend the services. Many funeral services are live streamed, and also available to be viewed later on the funeral home website. It would be nice if you were able to see it.

JeriLynn, your granddaughter is pretty and her dogs are adorable. Hope all goes well in your house with your visitors.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Beth

• Iris L.

Mint, I'm sorry to learn about your dear uncle. I hope everyone will get to the funeral and back home safely. Does your mom know about his passing? Was he her brother?

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Mint

I am sorry for the loss of your dear uncle. It sounds like he was a special person in your life.

HB

• Lorita

Happy belated birthday, Ron.. I bet it was a happy one with you bring with family.

Mint, so sorry for the loss of your uncle. It is nice that you had a good visit with him last August. Hope your mother is doing well.

JeriLynn, your granddaughter is beautiful. How old is she? I have to figure out how to get allergy shots for the GPs. Also nails trimmed. I can trim Stormys but not Sheenas. Do wish I could figure out how to get her in the car. She just will not step up. Maybe a farm call if Mike can have the time.

Iris, glad you're feeling better.

We had a little rain and it's foggy this morning, even have a puddle of rainwater. Yesterday, Daisy and her baby were by the water tank so got to talk to him. He is so cute, black with a white face and black around both eyes like his mom. He got a bit nervous and she said something to him and he was okay. This is the first boy she has had, third baby. Need a flower name fornhim. Maybe DJ for Daisy, Jr. We used to have a DJ.

Are you all still getting that pop up?

• jfkoc

Well we had what they said was the worst hail storm ever last night. Thankfully the edge was about 1/2 west of me.

Mint…I agree about the world getting smaller.

Getting ready for bulky trash day next week. Decisions…decisions!

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Mint, my condolences on the loss of your uncle. Is he your mom's brother?

Judith, did you hear or see the hail? Been a long time since I've seen hail in Florida.

Lorita, I can just picture Daisy and her baby - so cute!

Iris you cousin has lived a full life. Please keep us posted.

Those are beautiful fur babies JeriLynn, your granddaughter is so cute. I know what you mean about the clean-up of the patio. Mine is getting overgrown with weeds between the pavers. So much to do, but I don't stress about it anymore - my LO takes up much of my time. When I do have time, I'm so tired I do as much as I can.

Happy Belated Birthday Ron - cheers to a great year.

Beth, HB, David, Sandy, JoC, the ones I forgot - hugs to all xo

• jfkoc

When one lives here one pays attention to the TV warnings. This time that was all I needed to do ..nothing at my house…not even noise!

On TV…baking soda between the pavers.

• David1946

Well got a message from my Dr. he is weaning me off Pramipexol and putting me on Gabapentin to help my relentless leg movements.

Will let you know how it works.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney