Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Lorita
Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

September 1 is a good time to begin 199. Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day weekend. I am ready for cooler weather. This Oklahoma summer has not been good. We have had drought, grasshoppers and now army worms.

Comments

• Lorita

Trying to keep 199 close to the top so someone won't post on ,198 in the morning. Hope everyone has a good nights sleep. See you tomorrow.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Good night!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,670
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Lorita it is not an exercise!, yeah. If you go to YouTube and google Margaret Martin, Physical Therapist. It is her latest video as of this morning titled 4 moves to avoid. Its basically about breaking old habits and forming new ones for how we move. I can tell quite a but of difference in just 3 days. Its easy to fall back into ild habits so working on that.

Glad you had a nice trip Beth.

Yes Judith just nice to hear from people

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning

• Mint

ttt

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Good morning all! Good to see you Ron.

Mint, you are always have helpful information to share! Hope you are even better today Lorita xo

• Iris L.

Good morning! Yes, it feels good to be in September! Lorita, what are army worms?

Iris

• Lorita
    edited September 2

Morning, thanks, Mint,I will check on that. I know I twist too much when I lift or carry. Did that when I was feeding cows and my waist was always sore.

Thank you Caro Lynne, my side hurts some this morning, probably will off and on for another week or so.

It is gorgeous out this morning, in the 60s and sunny. The Great Raft race has begun on the Arkansas River around Tulsa and Sand Springs. Always fun to watch.

Talked with Darwin and he said he worked on a combine all night and still didn't get it fixed (in his dreams). Happy Labor Day, everyone.

Iris, they're a greenish worm with a stripe. They cut vegetation off so it dies. They can move into a field, like an army, and devastate it. Awful things. Glad you slept well.

• Caro_Lynne

Iris, even in your writing it sounds like you are sleeping better! Hope so xoSave Draft

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Happy Labor Day.

Iris— Maybe you should do what I do, take notes as you read this thread. Name and subject or I would confuse certain players. I wouldn't want to confuse Ricardo and Davis or Jerilynn with Beth or Carolynn.

Judith— That's a fun article. My husband has fallen down the YouTube "Weird History Food" channel rabbit hole. There are so many episodes on foods of the past— school lunches of the 60s, fine dining in the 1950, cookie flavors that are no longer made, old fashioned dinners, etc. He had one on boxed cereals that are no longer made when I came downstairs last night.

Lorita— Army worms?? Sounds scary.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quiet day here. I need to run over to mom's and check on her. I stopped by yesterday to attempt to show her how to Uber-by-phone. (1- 833- USE-UBER/ 833-872-8237) My niece invited her to a cookout at her home an hour away and mom really wanted to go. I'd have taken her but was already committed to a friend's birthday dinner hence the Uber.

When I got there, my spidey sense went off. She didn't look great. She admitted to being very tired; she'd had a busy week with my niece. Mom was wearing a white eyelet blouse and black crops and was going to wear navy Tom's with them because she "didn't feel like going to her bedroom for something that matched". This is very uncharacteristic of her. I put her down for a nap. If she's not a whole lot perkier today, we may be headed to urgent care. She's starting PT again tomorrow and has a surgical consult Wednesday and I hope we don't have to reschedule.

HB

• Iris L.

Lorita and CaroLynne, yes, I am sleeping a bit better. I am making some changes to my sleep habits. But I think the best help is continuing what I call "sleep games" which are mental games that I play to focus my mind and allow sleep to happen, even though I don't feel sleepy.

HB, I do take notes once in a while, but I can't do that every day.

Have you heard of GoGoGrandparent? It's a way of calling for a ride that is easier for seniors like your mom.

Ron, I wish we had store-bought roux out here.

Labor Day, a day to celebrate American workers! Yea for us!

Iris

• Caro_Lynne

HB I hope all goes well with your mom. Iris I found roux on Amazon. Going to order some. Lorita, I too like spicy/hot on most everything I eat; particularly eggs. I buy this stuff at Whole Foods and when they are out I order on Amazon:

• Mint

Hi David we are now on Just need to talk to my friends (199)————Do no use Just need to talk to my friends (198) anymore.

Iris thank you so much for telling us about gogograndparent. I looked it up, says available in our area. Hope it really is if i need it someday.

• harshedbuzz

@Iris L. I've actually linked gogograndparent on this site in the past before the 1-833-USE-UBER was available. The service uses Uber and Lyft drivers, but you pay a service charge in addition to the ride itself and gratuity. And since the service charge is tied to the length of the ride—$.27/minute. My niece lives an hour away unless there's a traffic delay which adds about $16 to the ride.

Another downside is that communication is through a 3rd party GoGo operator. Mom lives in unmanned-gate gated community. GPS will direct drivers to a residents-only gate which makes the service unreliable for her as many non-native English-speaking drivers (and poor listeners) don't understand the gate they need to use causing them to report it as "no-show" and drive on. This results in an upset mom who missed an appointment as well as a no-show fee. With Uber, the communication seems a bit better and if she could do it with her phone, she could talk directly with the driver. She could walk 200yds to the gate and meet them at that intersection which is really the best way to circumvent the gate.

The other thing is, though she's loathed to admit it, she doesn't like any service identified with the elderly. To that end, she had a million reasons for not wearing her Medical Guardian but happily wears an Apple Watch just like mine and the other cool kids.

HB

Update. 13 hours of sleep and she's back to herself. Yay!

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello and Happy Labor Day!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

took a tumble but probably OK

• Caro_Lynne

What happened Judith??? Pray you are really OK xo

• Lorita

Not down the stairs, I hope. Are you sure you're okay? When did it happen?

• harshedbuzz

Judith— I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're just shaken up a bit and not injured.

HB

• Iris L.

Judith, what happened? Probably OK is not good enough! How are you now?

Irisl

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Stood up…. leg gave way…neuropathy to blame…no bleeding…no bruising but foot not quite perfect….will give it a few days …..hurts some to walk but otherwise no pain

• Lorita
    edited September 2

Do you have a cane to help you walk? I have trouble with my balance some. Too, from Mortons, the cats and GPs. Just be careful. Was Winda there? You will probably feel it tomorrow but hope.not.

• Mint

sorry about your fall Judith. It happens so easily

good night everyone😴

• Iris L.

I'm glad you're okay, Judith! I used to fall in my home, I just tripped over my own feet, or tripped over one of the cats.

Iris

• Lorita

Good njght, sleep tight.

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Judith, hope you’re ok after your fall.

I was going to request a Uber to take me 7 miles from home, the charge would have been $46 one way. Love the twisty mountain roads. I rescheduled for a day my son was available.

Sandy

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Morning!

Judith, I hope your ok this morning. I have the same problem with my balance, suppose to use a cane, but most if the time I don't. Seems like my balance problem comes and goes!

Ron

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Judith, hoping you are ok this morning. That's frightening. Let us know how you are. xoxo

• Mint

Good morning

Hope Richard and David find us

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Beautiful sky this morning. The light at the bottom is the reflection on the swimming pool.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more