Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hallucinations Delusions that won’t stop

SteveAndy
SteveAndy Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Hi

My Mother in Law was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 6 years ago and has been experiencing auditory hallucinations for the last 2 years. In the past 6 months they’ve turned into full on delusions that are continuous and is afraid. She asked to be with us for the last 2 weeks because “they” (an 85 yo upstairs neighbor) developed a taser and it will kill her. So every day for the last 2 weeks she listens to constant deprecating talk and can’t sleep at night.
She’s only on 50mg at night quantipine

She needs some relief now…would a psychiatric in patient situation help stabilize and get meds sorted out quickly?

I’m not convinced her neurologist is the best

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Quetiapine (Seroquel) is appropriate but she certainly might need a dose increase. To give you some context, doses of up to 800 mg per day are used in schizophrenia so there's plenty of room to go up. Is she on any other meds? Aricept, namenda, rivastigmine could make this worse and if on any of those i would discontinue them. No need to taper. So sorry she's in distress

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 198
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH's Geripsych increases the dosage for delusions and hallucinations during a regular telehealth appointment. He does not require an inpatient visit.

• mrsabaldwin
    mrsabaldwin Member Posts: 43
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

From my own experience with my mom and what her doctor has told me, the delusions and hallucinations only get worse until they are stage 7. An uptick in meds will help but there is no cure for ALZ so there is no cure for the hallucinations and delusions. Only meds to help lesson the frequency. My moms doc told me to keep her safe and treat my own mental health.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more