Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Automated pill dispensers

hi. Does anyone know of a good automated pill dispenser? I was on the alzstore.com and I ordered an automated pill dispenser made by med ready and it doesn’t work. For some reason I thought this store was connected with the Alzheimer’s Association, even though it doesn’t say so, and it turns out the return policy is really stinky, even if your item is defective! also, I don’t have a receipt and all the emails I had going to and from them seem to have disappeared from my inbox and my archives. Something fishy there. Anyway, does anyone have any good reliable pill dispensers? I don’t need one that monitors whether or not the pills have been taken because my sister just takes them out and set them on the counter anyway and I called her three times a day to make sure she has taken them, but I need one that locks and has an alarm so she can’t get into them at the wrong time. I saw another one on there that looks good, but you had to tip it upside down, and I was afraid she might drop some of the pills. Her son-in-law had ordered one. I think it was called a hero, and it was automated and all that, but when I talk to the people at the place who sold it because I had some questions, they said it was not for people who had memory loss or Alzheimer’s! Well, who the heck else would want one? Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so much. This disease stinks. (as do all forms of dementia) 💕

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. At some point for everyone with dementia, the only surefire way to administer meds is by direct supervision. As you have already acknowledged, the fact that they are dispensed doesn’t mean they are taken correctly. This is usually an indicator that the person’s ability to live alone is coming to an end.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 519
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the place no one wants to be. Since she's living alone, medication can be tricky, as your finding out. I wish I had an answer that would work for you.

I know there are several dispenser's available. One thing I'd heard of people doing is something many pharmacy's offer - having the medications pre-packaged per time to be taken. Meaning her morning medication would be in one pill pocket, noon pills in another, evening, etc. Several people have had success with that because the loved one only opens one packet to take the medication. I don't know if that would help in your situation. Possibly discuss this with the pharmacy, and also see if they might suggest a medicine dispenser? It never hurts to ask.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney