Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seroquel too strong?

First time DW took it, she conked out (sleeping) just 2 hours afterward. Woke up for 2 hours, kinda spacey, then went down again.

I called medical office to tell them. Was told cut the pill in half tomorrow. But I am still concerned — she is small-framed, which could be a factor.

Prescribed b/c, although she's been comparatively happy for an ALZ patient, she's been especially antsy and a little agitated in last couple of months. Stage? I'm guessing 6.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

A couple thoughts—

What dose are you talking about? Seroquel has a very wide range of strengths from 25mg- 400mg. Whe is she taking it?

Normally doctors start low and slow with dementia— 25mg generally in the evening. Many people take 2-3 doses a day and there's room to go up in strength as needed. My own dad started with 25 at dinner (he tended to be agitated at night and sleep badly); later his doctor added an am dose.

When dad first started, it did make him very sleepy. I'm told this is common and usually temporary. Dad was sleepier for about 5 days each time we added a dose.

Seroquel can interact with other medications and alcohol increasing drowsiness.

HB

• TooEarly
    TooEarly Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thanks for the quick input.

It's 25mg. Doc said it was a "baby dose" but I can cut in half next time.

• TooEarly

She's about 5-2, 125. Wondering if that's a factor in how quickly it hit her.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DW is also a small woman (5'). She was started on 25 mg once a day and then rapdidly increased to 25 mg twice a day. It initially made her sleepy but she rapidly acclimated to it. She is now on 75 twice a day. I think starting with a half dose is a great idea.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 169
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH started on 25mg and it knocked him out. I gave it to him after dinner and he would sleep from 6:30pm until 10:00pm and then I would wake him at 10:00pm and he would get ready for bed and sleep another 10 hours. This routine went on for about a month or two. Then he seemed to adjust to the dose, and it no longer knocks him out.

He is now on 50mg in the am and 50mg at bedtime. He dozes off in the afternoon and evening, but wakes up at the slightest noise. He is not extremely tired from it anymore. I think it takes awhile for them to get over the extreme tiredness.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,750
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dose now being given?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@TooEarly

That is a good starter dose; I know of younger/smaller kids (with ASD) who do well on that dose, but it can be really individual. I'd try the 1/2 tab and see if you get a good result in terms of the benefit of relieving her symptoms vs side effects. You may need to increase it back to 25mg for symptom control, but the sleepiness with probably improve in a week or so.

HB

• TooEarly

Hey folks, thanks for your input.

I cut the dose in half today. She still fell asleep about 2 hours after taking it. Will see how the day goes.

Contacted our NP, who said it sometimes takes a few days for the person to acclimate. Crossing my fingers.

It's just so … well, I want her to get help with the agitation but don't want her to be walloped by medication.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,750
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

thanks for the update

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

It took two weeks for the sleepiness to wear off for my husband. Once he adjusted, it's been a great help for him.

• TooEarly

That's good to know, storycrafter. Her nap was a little shorter the third day. Obviously, I'll be monitoring closely.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more