Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home health and help

So, my father in law has dementia. Me and my wife stay a whole lot with him. We live beside them on their land. They have a will but not a living trust. In Mississippi if you go into a nursing home just your will, will not help save your assets. They have Medicare part b and d I know. My question is will the SS insurance take care of in home healthcare for a sitter. I know they have Humana. If they go to a rest home, we will lose our land and have to move. Any help is appreciated!!
Tagged:

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry about your father-in-law. You said they have Medicare Part B & D. Not Part A?? You also said they have Humana. Is it a Medicare HMO or a supplement policy? You asked if SS insurance will take care of in home healthcare for a sitter. Do you mean Medicare? Those clarifications will help others who may know the answer. Unfortunately, I don't think Medicare pays for any sitter healthcare. They do pay for some medical visits if the person is housebound. Visits like wound care, Physical Therapy, etc. In Mississippi you can qualify for Medicare & Medicaid if you meet the financial requirement. Medicaid pays for things Medicare doesn't pay for. Mississippi Medicaid offers a program that can help pay for home care for people with dementia who qualify for Medicaid:

Asset limits for Medicaid financial approval:

In Mississippi, the asset limit for Medicaid long-term care in 2024 is $4,000 for a single applicant and $26,000 for a couple. Some assets are exempt from the limit, including:

• Cash and non-exempt assets: Up to $4,000 for a single applicant
    • Personal belongings: With an equity value of $4,000 or less
    • Home: One home with an equity limit of $688,000, if it's the applicant's primary residence or if a spouse, child under 21, or disabled person lives there
    • Motor vehicles: Up to two vehicles
    • Burial spaces: For family members, if under $4,000
    • Funeral expenses: Up to $6,000
    • Life insurance: For both spouses, if the total face value for each is $10,000 or less 

I would speak to an Elder Care Attorney to explain options for a trust.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@mickeyangie

Unless you've spoken with an Elder Law Attorney, you really can't know if what you believe is accurate to your situation. Please do this asap. Trying to find your way using hearsay could be very costly in the long run.

Institutional Medicaid is the safety net for those who can't afford care. Is he single/widowed? You mentioned "they" going to a rest home. If he has a spouse, that person could be a community spouse and remain in the martial home with funds to live on until they pass in which case Medicaid would seek reimbursement for their care. But there's a loophole that can allow a child/grandchild who lives with the PWD for a minimum of 2 years and thus keeps then out of a Medicaid bed in a nursing home, to inherit the home in which they've been living subject to certain asset limits.

HB

• mickeyangie
    mickeyangie Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

• mickeyangie
    First Comment

I was looking at their insurance, he has Medicare part a, b, d, and f

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Neither Medicare nor Social Security will pay for home health care . Harshedbuzz is right, you need to speak to a certified elder law attorney to investigate getting him (or them if there’s a spouse too) qualified for Medicaid. Look at nelf.org for a list of such attorneys by location. Requirements vary by state and it’s worth it to get professional advice for this.

• mickeyangie
    First Comment

thanks everyone, I will look into this

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia