Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (200)

Lorita
Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Well, we made it to 200. Took a while. Still chilly here. Had to find some fleece to wear. Time to change out summer gowns and dresses for fleece and flannel. I don't change clothes in closet, just things in the chests.

HB, hope your mother is doing much better. Mint, how is your mother? Haven't seen you mention it lately. CaroLynn, hope things are better this morning.

I'll stop and have another cup of hot tea. Looks like fall weather is here. If we could only get some rain. Many of our counties are now under burn bans. Scary time of year.

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,670
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

HB see the tissue thing hasn’t changed. I was kind of embarrassed to hand them out.

JeriLynn that sounded like a good meal. I may have picked the sausage out😊. Not always a fan. Dried Pinto beans I found here are not always best quality.

Agree brs sometimes i feel like I’m being disrespectful and I don’t want to be. At the same time some things are hard to keep inside.

39 here this morning. Sun shining though and that helps. Wore my lighter coat to grocery store this morning.

My mom has been doing some better. Hasn’t had incontinence of any sort for awhile. Has been sleeping better.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Thanks all for the kind thoughts and prayers. Mom's not rebounding as quickly as she has in the past. She's on breathing treatments, IV steroids and 2 different antibiotics. Her nurses seem very attentive.

It looks like they've tweaked her regular medications while in the hospital— Farxiga for Jardiance (maybe not on their formulary, I could bring some) and her BP meds are missing. I'm not sure what's up with that and will ask tomorrow. Ugh, most of her docs are with the Big Gun university network, but her highly regarded pulmo is with the community hospital. Given her symptoms, we opted to go for the hospital affiliated with the pulmo. Plus, the university hospital ER is just crazy; in June they stuck her in a hall for 2 days. With COVID, RSV and flu season upon us, I wanted to avoid that.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

thanks for the update….

• Lorita

Driveway alarm works. Have to get another new flag. The wind has been so strong this summer that has completely frayed the end. A flag only lasts a few months here even though I try to take it down when it gets windy.

Good night. Sleep tight.

• Mint

Good morning

38F Moon is beautiful. Full moon tomorrow, is the Hunter moon.

• Lorita

Morning. It's 36 here, Mint. Calm winds so far. I haven't been outside so didn't see the moon. I will tonight. I turned on the stove to see if it worked. It did, thank goodness. Thought I might have to get a new one last year but didn't.

Need to do a little laundry today. Still haven't taken the "blanket" out of the pkg. But I think it's just a glorified throw. Wonder why they stopped making true electric blankets.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning.

I think I have whiplash! We had a front blow through during the night, yesterday it was 96 & this morning its 51. That's quite a shock to the system. I opened the door to let the puppy out and was cold. I've not been cold since probably Feb. I'm certainly not complaining, it feels great.

HB thanks for the update on your mom. I think you opted for the correct hospital, given what happened the last time. She'll slowly bounce back.

This message board is for everyone, period. I personally don't think anyone ever means to be disrespectful. Caring and caregiving is emotional, bumpy & gut-wrenching. We all understand that. We also know some days are better than others. Its all part of the journey none of us wants to be on. But we are here, supporting, caring and helping one another along the journey. If you need to vent, do so. If its a rant, so be it, we all get it. If your having a difficult day, guess what, we all understand. I will take it a step further and say that this thread, in particular, has become very close-knit. We've gotten to know one another and truly care about each other and to me that's a beautiful thing. We are each other's extended family. So if you feel like you've been disrespectful, I image we all forgive you, its in the past.

We have our twice monthly Dementia Cafe today. Personally I like to skip, but DH absolutely loves being with his group and the students. He gets to help and he's all about that. I'll enjoy it, but my blanket and hot tea are speaking to me now!

Be safe everyone.

• jfkoc

waiting for daughterr to come and cut 3 inches off my hair…

• Mint
    edited October 16

Eagle went back and read my post. i see i didn't make myself real clear who I was talking about. Who I don't want to be disrespectful to is my mom. I rant now and then about things on here about her. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. This thread has kind of been a safe place for me but I still want to be careful.

Got a new spark plug for my snow blower today. Now hopefully i can get my kind BIL to come get it ready for winter.

• Lorita

Mint, I know how hard it gets sometimes. I know I said things to Charles when I was frustrated and tired that I regret now and as soon as it was said. Don't feel too bad about things said or done. Someone commented once that they don't remember things we might have said or done.

Just hurried down to mailbox to get my application for absentee ballot mailed. I have had it for over a week but for some weird reason thought it had to be notarized. Hope it's not too late.

Got a letter from a friend in Missoula. Had written her with no reply for quite sometime so was worried because she has had some health problems. Reminds me that we haven't heard from Joan in a long time. Did try to find a phone number to no avail.

Time for local news so will stop for now.

• Mint

• jfkoc
    edited October 16

Just checked thinking I could apply online for ballot.

The Standard absentee ballet requires a notary and physically absentee ballot requires two signatures. Neither required for application.

• Lorita

I called the County Election Board and they sent an application. When I get the ballot, will have to go to town to the credit union to get the notary to sign. Guess it's the safest way. I think you probably have until election day to do that. Can't remember.how I did it last election. Our polling place used to be four miles away but they moved it into town. Don't want to be around that many people in town.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I'm curious, by absentee ballot do you mean mail-in ballot? You have to get it notarized! Wow, I never heard of that - tells you what I know. Here in Florida, I request mail-in ballot online, receive in mail and mail it back. I received mine last week, completed and mailed. Every vote counts!

Thank you for your support porch friends; I have cried so much the past few days just trying to accept the fact that my LO is gone. He's awake maybe an hour in the morning, I feed him yogurt which he can still swallow, protein shake if he takes it, change and clean him, and stay with him until he falls asleep again. My son comes over around 7ish to help me clean and change him before I go to bed. Lorita and Mint I can relate to some of the things we wish we had not said or done. I try very hard to minimize my regrets; regrets turn into guilt and what if's. We are all guilty of being human. I'm learning to forgive myself. As difficult as it is to watch my LO fade away, I will keep him home. I can understand those that cannot, no judgement here.

David I hope you find 200.

HB what's the latest on your mom?

Iris how are your travels going? Hope you can check in soon.

Eagle, Judith, Sandy, Ron, JeriLynn, Zetta, Beth, Barb, and anyone I missed, I hope you are all well xo

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good afternoon,

My cleaning got interrupted today. DH went to pick up some gates he found on FB marketplace. Those gates turned into cattle panels, water troughs for the pasture, more gates and 3, yes 3, metal carport coverings. All to be taken down and hauled home to get put up here. We got most of one carport torn apart and some of the cattle panels loaded. The rest will have to wait until he goes back with a bigger trailer. Everything was a really good deal - those carport covers are $$$ and he got 3 for $200. They will go in the pasture to make into goat/sheep housing. So you know what we will be doing before winter sets in. Deep sigh.

I'm down to 5 rooms and 2 closets to finish cleaning. The worst is done. I'll be glad to finish.

It's beautiful but cooling down fast with no rain in sight until November… As soon as I finished washing windows outside, cotton picking and stalk cutting started. Looks like a dust storm outside. Maybe I can just hose off the windows again when they finish.

Hopefully everyone is doing as well as they can. Caro Lynne, thinking of you and sending you lots of love.

Got company coming in a minute so I'll run to get banana bread sliced. See you tomorrow.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I think Ifinally found 200.

Here is my first post Today is went to bingo and won the fifty fifty for 14 dollars. Does sound like much but it still felt good to win.

• David1946
    edited October 16

Caro Lynne, I think I've found 200 please let me know if I have found it.

• JeriLynn66

yes, David you have found 200!

• David1946

I'm glad because it's nice to hear from all the rockers as to what's going on all over country.

• jfkoc

Lorita….could you post the whole title of the new thread next time you start fresh please…

Carolynne… no guilt please, ever. We do our best. This is a vey hard time for you. Please remember that we are right next to you and will be here 24/7.

Jerri lynne… sounds like you struck gold.

David…you made it!

HB…update???

• Lorita

Happy you found us, David. Everyone, don't forget to look at the Hunter's Moon tonight. It's up and bright here.

The Pyrenees and I went for almost a quarter mile walk late this evening. Since I.lost weight I don't seem to get.out of breath as much. Should do this every day.

Good idea, Judith I'll try to remember.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited October 17

Lorita, here is one I found on Amazon which looks more like a blanket. When shopping for one, check the weight on the product description…the heavier the more like a blanket. I think the thinner ones are popular because they weigh less but can still keep you warm.,.,.not like a blanket that you can use without the power to keep you warm.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Microplush-Electric-Settings-Selectable/dp/B0C5JR7FM5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=13APB32ZJMHJQ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.TvB6GKPHJRrqfIe8w2mqUGkzrQobe6OApndW1yVE0UX0uSWvuEjbJFvm_o7hDJ0UP3afsWbVLtelaqsoKHi_2rrX4pvicROzylUvuUdL5OycCNeS5zN-ToJjeBgII-ZXrWbl-tp4PyqbvVqj9qWh-iJmtArb50KhXIN_m_E1QlM6nKpS7lwObXoFsf6dUDjr.VY9c9COdPP5C805BA2oRrUqRtQA0EQ9DwWOumceHhUM&dib_tag=se&keywords=electric%2Bblanket%2Bqueen&qid=1729132237&refinements=p_n_feature_ten_browse-bin%3A23720538011%2Cp_n_pattern_browse-bin%3A362256011%2Cp_n_feature_seventeen_browse-bin%3A24046361011%2Cp_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin%3A122339083011&rnid=122338189011&sprefix=electric%2Bblanket%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-7&th=1

• Mint

Good morning

Glad you found us David

Lorita good to hear you felt like taking a walk

• JeriLynn66

The moon is shining brightly in my office window this morning. Coffee's ready. Banana bread in the kitchen. Come sit on the porch a bit.

We brought in or covered all the plants last evening in preparation for frost. It's still dark so I don't know yet, but DH turned on the heat yesterday… it was quite cool in the house.

Today I will start on the master bedroom to clean. DH moved the bed to the middle of the room so I can get behind there and clean the walls. It's a king sized sleigh bed and I can't move it by myself.

Have the best day everyone. BBL

• JeriLynn66

View of the moon from my office window this morning 🌕

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,351
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning porch-dwellers.

Lorita— I think tastes have changed around blankets with more folks wary of potential risks of electric blankets like fires and overheating (not recommended for the elderly, pregnant women, or young children). Most people I know sleep under down and a few like a weighted blanket for better sleep. The risk of fire increases with age (so you should be fine); of the 500 fires caused by electric blankets in the U.S. a few years back, all were older than 10 years.

I'm sure the dogs enjoyed their walk.

David— Congratulations on you win! I saw your post about the VA Home. I know many of these are state-run and will vary, but the one in Philadelphia was my top choice for my dad. The atmosphere and camaraderie there was so positive. Unlike a lot of places, the atmosphere was very masculine which I felt would be a better fit for my dad. It reminded me of dad's club. I hope it's a great fit for you.

eaglemom— I hear you on the weather whiplash. I've worn everything thing from a tee shirt and sandals to a turtleneck, boots and Thinsulate jacket this week.

I hope you enjoyed the Dementia Cafe once you got there even if you were perfectly content to stay home.

Carolynne— You're human. Alas, the tender compassion that is the best of humanity comes in a package that can also experience pain and frustration in the moment. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job of tending to your husband's care at home.

My state offers both mail-in and absentee ballots. Mail-ins are available to anyone and don't require notarization. Absentee ballots are an older option and were intended for shut-ins, folks traveling on election day and military personnel stationed out-of-state. Main-ins are pretty straightforward here. I mailed mom's ballot for her last week. DH, DS and I will vote in person.

Mint— Vent away. Sometimes venting can help you reset and return to a challenging role in better control of your emotions. Did you get your bulbs planted?

Judith— Are you enjoying your haircut. It's great that your DD can do that for you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The mom update. Day Four.

I discouraged DH from riding along with me. I suspect he wanted to prevent me asking my questions. Her room isn't really conducive to visiting. It's tight and, at 6'6" he takes up a lot of space. Mom was napping and her nurse was able to talk with me. I asked about the missing BP. She said it was listed as a medication but being held. He BP crept up yesterday and the nurse had already reached out to the doc about starting it back up. I shared the story of the damage to mom's option nerve from her BP being set too low and she made a note. The vision issue was a segue to the difficulty mom has seeing in low-light conditions due to her AMD and GA.

I also asked her hospitalist to ask for a pulmo consult with her regular pulmos as we'll have to do a post-hospitalization visit with them. That's on her chart for today I think. Doc says her wheeze is gone but that her lungs are still "gunky". He anticipates discharge maybe Friday earliest. He's suggesting home health after; I said I would prefer a short stay rehab stay. I reminded him that she lives independently at home and that she needs to get back to a place where she can, and intensive rehab would be best. I'm working on my top 3 choices, just in case.

She seems about the same. Her mood is great while I'm there. I helped her get cleaned up yesterday— and I think that helped a lot. PT came and did an evaluation. It wasn't great— when she stood up, her O2 dropped to 88 on 4 liters. He tucked her back in bed pretty quickly. We talked a bit about goals— she looks very frail in bed, so I have to remind them that she's typically home alone, walking to the store, not using O2 or a cane/walker. I suspect she'll be discharged with both.

I downloaded YouTube on her phone and gave her ear buds. I found some documentary of on the reign of Elizabeth II to distract her when I left. My niece dropped by after work. I'm sure she enjoyed that.

DH and I out went out to a local place for a quick bite. Some date-night, we discussed Plan Bs. I'm fortunate that he's pretty much on the same page as me in terms of playing it by ear for now. We disagreed about informing mom's sister. They're close but there's a weird competition between them that's kind of zero sum in nature. Mom and auntie visited back in August and mom's not at death's door, so I'm willing to avoid auntie's schadenfreude for the time being. I adore my mom and aunt, but the pair of them (at 86 and 89) need to knock this nonsense off.

I hope all have a pleasant day.

HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Here, thinking of you all.

HB, I am sorry your mom is so sick. Prayers that she gets back to baseline. You are doing a very good job caring for and advocating for her.

Lorita, it's chilly here too. Hope your blanket works for you. I bought one a year or two ago and it is thin. It is king or queen size with dual controls. It works great. I have been known to turn it on before going to bed to warm up the bed and then turn it off later.

Mint, glad your mom is doing better. Coming up on chili, soup, and baking weather!

Eagle, still cold there? My daughter is in League City and it is still hot where she lives.

Caro Lynne, I am so sorry for your sorrow. Losing someone you love, be it slowly or suddenly, is excruciating. I'm praying for you.

Judith, how did the haircut go? My MIL used to want me to cut her hair for her. I didn't really feel comfortable doing it but I tried.

SandyMac, your travels sound so fantastic! I'd love to see some of those exotic places you and your hubby have traveled to. I'm happy that you found your new love.

Ron, hope things are going better for you. It's a struggle but with the help of family and friends, you can keep putting one foot in front of the other. Praying for you.

Zetta, I hope your move has gone well. You will enjoy AZ in the winter time!

Barb, hope this finds you well. So glad you are here on the front porch with us friends!

JeriLynn, do you like to clean? You seem to do a lot of it! Do you clean DH's house too? I have a feeling you enjoy keeping busy. Homemaker extraordinaire! I wish I liked to clean and cook but I don't. I'm an outdoor girl! The banana bread sounds good! I haven't had any in months. How do you like your new stove? We moved 3 weeks ago and I am learning how to cook with gas. I have always had electric, most recently a flat top with a double oven. How I loved that stove! Alas, it stays at the old house. I'll miss my double oven! My new range is a KitchenAid gas range. I love your photo. You have a beautiful property.

David, best wishes. I know things are not easy for you and your wife. Praying for you.

Marie, good to hear from you. I hope you and your mom are doing well.

I think I might have had Covid recently. It wasn't too bad. Just nasal congestion and post nasal drip and a bit of fatigue. I didn't test, thought it was just a cold until…….I applied perfume and couldn't smell it! I guess this answers my question of whether or not to get another vaccine this fall. I won't. I will get some degree of immunity from having the virus.

We are getting new furniture today: king sized bed, two end tables, coffee table, two bookcases. We like our new digs! We live on a neighborhood pond! Sunrise below.

• David1946

IM hoping it is the right choice I know ot is a hard decision but it is the right decision because it's getting hard for my wife to take of me.

• jfkoc

here…off to the bank and meat market…

• Mint
    edited October 17

HB I did get the bulbs planted. I don’t feel too tired this fall. Enjoyed your information about the eyes. Hope your mom is able to regain her strength.

Yes Beth I’m ready to start cooking. I haven’t baked hardly anything this summer. I tried not to overdo it. I’m still very tired a lot of nights. The pond is very nice.

Lorita i make rice bags. Have a down comforter, polartec blanket and flannel sheets. A little while before i go to bed I heat them and put them in bottom of my bed. Keeps me cozy and i don’t have to worry about anything

I bought smoked turkey tails today. LOL I had never heard of them til yesterday. I saw someone cooking pinto beans with them. Hope i like it. Have any of you guys had them? Looks like you sort of can use them like you would a ham hock? Guess i will learn

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more