My Dad Died
After 6 months in nursing home and a week in the hospital my Dad died last Thursday. So I guess my caregiver journey is over with him. I feel very confused. I haven't cried nearly as much as I thought I would. I thought I would fall apart. But I have been fine so far. Am I just waiting for a collapse around the corner?
Comments
-
I am sorry to hear about your dad. I haven't yet faced the death of my mom with dementia so I can't offer that experience. I do remember when my dad died after a long illness that I didn't cry for a while. I think I was so exhausted and it was such a relief to know that he was no longer suffering that my own loss didn't hit me till later.
Every person's experience with grief is different. Be kind to yourself and don't try to meet others' expectations. I think with dementia, we lose our LO bit by bit along the way - there's a lot of grief before the final goodbye. Prayers for peace and comfort for you.
1 -
I'm sorry for your loss. I wish you peace in the coming days.
0 -
I am so, so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dad!
Everyone processes grief differently. My advice is to just let it happen how it happens. There are support groups out there and there is also a forum here for those who have lost their LO.
"Anticipatory grief"—where we begin to grieve our LO's death while they are still alive—is very real when caring for PWD. That doesn't mean you don't still have grieving to do, but maybe it lessens it some.
Be sure to reach out to this forum or find another outlet if you need help processing. Hugs to you in the coming days!
0 -
so sorry for your loss. Take all the time you need to grieve. It’s common to be relieved when our LO with dementia passes. We pray their suffering will end. May he rest in peace. 💜
0 -
I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. Possibly, without knowing it, you've been preparing for this. Be kind to yourself. You will be filled with memories and emotions for a bit, all of which is quite normal.
eagle
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help

