Don't treat them like they know...
So, it's been a long journey. DW is fully in the stage 6/7 range. We have hospice. I have known for a very long time that she goes in and out of knowing who I am. Like someone once said, they know who you are but they don't know who you are. But I think up until now my way of handling her in troubled times is in a way that I still treat her as if she knows who I am. I think that does not help when I'm trying to calm her down because I have this expectation that she knows who i am. I have to step back and just pretend to be a nice caregiver. Perhaps I've been doing that in some instances but I don't know why it's just hitting me now. I have to drop any pretense that she knows who I am so that I can address it more effectively. Is this making sense? Not all the time but you can tell when they are fully zoned out.
Comments
-
yes it makes sense. Some caregivers leave the room and come back and introduce themselves. Some even change clothes. Some suggested pictures of you two around the room so she can see them. When I would visit my DH in memory care he thought my daughter was me. So I would go in first and introduce myself. I would say “Hi honey, it’s me, your wife Diane. Then my daughter would come in and do the same. It seemed to help.
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
