Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looking for ways to help mom whose in denial and thinks I steal from her

pcat99
pcat99 Member Posts: 1 Member
Mom is not diagnosed, in denial she has any problems, accuses only me of stealing from her- things I didn’t even know she had, and I live 5 hours away, verbally and emotionally abuses me, I am the only person in her life willing
and wanting to help her. What have others done in this situation?
Tagged:

Comments

  • caregiving daughter
    caregiving daughter Member Posts: 179
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    Identify if there are any legal documents in place, e.g., powers of attorney. If so, contact her gp/internist to figure out a process to have your mom diagnosed. Eventual documentation will need to indicate that she is no longer able to handle her affairs. It will be challenging to get her into the needed specialists but very likely the internist has encountered this situation before.

    If there are no legal documents, talk to an attorney about guardianship.

    Relative to the verbal comments, your mom's judgement is impaired. Please remember this illness and allow the comments to roll off. I know it's harder than it sounds. My mom told me I wasn't like her other children which was ironic since I was the only child helping. What worked for me was to pretend I was a professional caregiver. I just tried to detach emotionally. Record some of the comments or decisions she has made and then when you read them back, it will become obvious that your mom needs your help.

    Look around in your community for training on dementia. If you attend a session, not only will you find an impromptu support group (I cried when I introduced myself in my training) but you'll also walk out with contact information on attorneys, doctors, care providers, offices of aging in your community, and other. Learn about the illness and how to communicate with someone who has dementia. For example, when your mom accuses you on the phone of taking her purse, respond with, "mom, let me think… I do recall seeing it" … and then move into a distraction.

    You are a good daughter. She is so lucky to have you.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,342
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member
    edited April 3

    Welcome. Caregiving daughter gave excellent advice. She is not in denial. Her brain truly can’t process/recognize the symptoms she is having. Many with dementia have anosognosia. This is an inability to recognize their symptoms or limitations. No amount of trying to reason with her will work. There will likely never come a time when she says-I need help, I can’t live alone anymore, I shouldn’t drive. You will need to see a lawyer(if you don’t have DPOA) to make it legal to take control. You might also look for videos by tam Cummings and careblazers. I have attached a few resources just in case you haven’t run across them yet. The caring for a parent board gets more viewers. You may want to consider posting there for more responses.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more