Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are digital memory boards helpful?

moore3
moore3 Member Posts: 6
Second Anniversary First Comment
Member

We have been considering purchasing a digital memory board for my parents. Mom is in LTC and Dad in AL. Mom’s memory is starting to fade. Dad has diagnosed ALZ. Thinking it would help with reminders of hair appointments, activities, share photos, etc. But it’s a good investment so wanted to see if anyone has found them to be helpful.

Comments

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    any aid is temporary. As their short term memory decreases the reminders don’t help. They will need 24/7 care.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,342
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    As sDianeL said it may work for a while. Eventually, just like sticky notes and a calendar, they will just ignore it. It might even confuse them, not understanding how the message is being changed. Then there is their ability to actually do what is necessary based on the message. They may see and understand they have a doctors appointment today at 2:00, but time is can be difficult for a person with dementia. They may decide to start getting ready at 1:45 with no rush or concern. I find mom has no ability to plan how long it will take to get ready. I think part of it just depends on your loved one. I think it is more likely to be helpful in the early stages.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,940
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @moore3

    I'm confused. Is this device meant to help mom in LTC or dad with Alz?

    IME, no tech device replaces human interaction. Many PWD don't recall the purpose of such items (including the white boards many first-time caregivers try) and consult them. In reality, the prompts don't work and they miss activities/appointments or they trigger perseveration on them often with phone calls to family for reassurance.

    I did buy dad a digital picture frame which I loaded with pictures of family and his friends when he was still home with mom. He literally never looked at it unless prompted and even then, it didn't engage him.

    YMMV.
    HB

  • lilacgirl
    lilacgirl Member Posts: 94
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    We haven't tried one of those yet, but I did get one of those "dementia clocks," — tells the day, date, time, time of day — for my mom in December and she has loved it. It has helped her know what day it is to some extent, but I am noticing that it is not helping as much as it used to. She is getting very confused about what day it is and when things are happening. But if it helps for a little while, maybe worth it!

  • Bowerbird
    Bowerbird Member Posts: 98
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    When my DH went into Memory Care, I hung up a smaller sized dry erase board on which I printed "Your wife (with my name) loves you very much" and hung a small photo of myself at the top. I would read it to him every time I visited. Within two weeks he threw it away, perhaps due to being bored and puttering around, trying to houseclean. Luckily, he did keep my photo.

    So the digital board may not be worth it.

  • psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 787
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments Third Anniversary
    Member

    Agree that the digital board is probably not worth the money. If they can't follow a written calendar or white board, technology is not going to be any better. Sadly, all tech loses its usefulness after a while - TV, phone, clocks, computer. If it's new tech, it's not likely they will be able to learn or retain how to use it.

  • moore3
    moore3 Member Posts: 6
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Member

    Appreciate all the candid feedback! And makes sense - it’s so hard for them to learn any new kind of tool.

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Er…I had to look up “digital memory board” after reading your post. Huh. These must be fairly new. Absolutely not worth the money, IMO, for all the reasons others have said.

    For a few years of the early stages I bought my dad a big paper calendar. It worked great—until it didn’t. When he moved into MC I was encouraged by staff to buy a whiteboard. I did. He never once consulted it. Same with the dementia clock (although that is useful for me to point to: “See here? It is 4:00 in the afternoon. Dinner will be in one hour.”). But on the other hand, the digital photo frame is his favorite possession. Go figure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more