Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In memory care and taking hubby out

Katcat
Katcat Member Posts: 133
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
Member

hubby has been in memory care facility since mid October. He always in confusion. He says where am I. What am I doing here. I want to go home. This is all he talks about. I thought I’d be able to take him home thanksgiving but no way. I’m not sure he will ever be ready to go out. I can’t imagine taking him to a diner. Overstimulation noise. I don’t even want too. The nurse told me oh yes he will be able to go out. Is she just saying this so I won’t feel bad does anyone have any experience with this. Thx. And when I leave he cries. He wants to be home. So heartbreaking

Comments

  • Bowerbird
    Bowerbird Member Posts: 97
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    I am so sorry you are going through this. It is very hard to see that in our LOs. I agree with SDianeL in that home to the PWD is a feeling, not really a place. Have you spoken to the doctor or Nurse Practitioner about this? Perhaps he needs to be on an anti-depressant.

  • SiberianIris
    SiberianIris Member Posts: 135
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I agree with SDianeL. I don't take my mom out for the same reasons. Many people with dementia say they want to "go home" even when they're sitting in the home they've lived in for 50 years. With dementia, "home" represents a place in their mind in the past where everything still made sense rather than a physical place.

    One of the things I do to distract mom when she's unhappy is to show her old family pictures. She always loves looking at them, and sometimes they prompt her to tell me interesting stories. Occasionally she'll remark on the household decor in the pictures, saying how pretty it is. I agree with her, but I refrain from telling her it was her own house where she lived for decades.

    Mom has been in MC for 8 months. She is doing better physically and cognitively than she was at home with 24/7 caregivers. She doesn't really ask to go home anymore, but instead asks me to drive her by her house. I'll say "Yes, but not today, because I'm on my way to a doctor's appointment/it's raining/etc. We'll do it next time." The positive response of "Yes, but…" is always better received than "No, because…".

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 817
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    My heart goes out to you Katcat. It’s heartbreaking for sure. As others have said, it may be better not to take him home. I resisted that with my DH because he seemed content where he was and I was afraid of the potential issues when bringing him back there. They did have him on various meds to curb the agitation and aggression so maybe that was helping too.

  • BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 543
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I do let my wife know when I am leaving from her MC but I tell her I have to go do some work or take care of the dog or anything but I will be back so I will see you later. That works for her. She does still sometimes say that she will get her stuff so we can go but I tell her that she still needs a little more therapy and should be able to leave in a few days (she moved straight from the hospital after a stroke to MC so I tell her that is why she is there for a while). I have taken her out for lunch or ice cream before and it went OK, but each time I was worried about how she may react. I think that maybe her having limited use of her left arm as a reminder that she did have a stroke may make some of this a little easier for me.

  • Katcat
    Katcat Member Posts: 133
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more